Adknowledge - A fast-moving company with incredibly bright, driven employees. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Adknowledge

"A fast-moving company with incredibly bright, driven employees."

Former Intern - Marketing in Kansas City, MO
Former Intern - Marketing in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Adknowledge as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

No matter what department you work in, there will be something new on your plate every single day. Sure, many of your daily duties may stay the same, but the peripheral work that fills out the rest of the day almost always presents a new challenge. This fast-paced culture has greatly developed my work ethic and ability to pivot quickly between often substantial tasks.

The best part of my internship was the learning curve that my department allowed me. While at first my hand was held every time I took on a new project, now that I have been here a few months, I have much more autonomy to tackle challenges largely on my own. The ability to own the projects that I complete has empowered and driven me to work incredibly hard and leaves me satisfied upon every day's completion.

Another huge pro of Adknowledge is the laid-back, "Silicon Valley" culture that exists there. The Kansas City office has no dress code, caters in lunch twice per-week, and has free "Beer Fridges" on Fridays from which employees are welcomed to drink. The open floor plan, which features zero offices, means that as an intern, I am just a few steps away from the CEO's desk. I cannot imagine another company at which I would comfortable randomly approaching the President for his opinion on a project of mine. It's about as "chill" of a corporate environment that one could hope to find.

Cons

It is sometimes hard to maintain focus/structure when accomplishing any long-term tasks when so many side-projects pop up every day. This is truly the nature of the double-edged sword that is digital marketing. The ground is moving so quickly beneath you that it's easy to leave non-essential projects, sometimes even meaningful ones that at one point greatly excited you, completely in the rearview.

Also, meetings can often be derailed by a diffusion of responsibility regarding certain tasks. For instance, it can be frustrating to witness a 10-minute debate between programmers over a small website component at a department-wide meeting. The frustration is twofold: first, the component was probably delegated to just one of the programmers, making the other programmer's opinion extraneous. Secondly, even if a department member wants their opinion heard on another member's separate, niche project, this matter could/should be handled in private, rather than in a department-wide forum wherein more than half of the members don't even understand the conversation.

This problem can be solved by more transparently delegating projects and not allowing department members to co-micromanage one another on supposedly autonomous projects.

Advice to Management

To c-level management: Keep doing what you are doing. The recent acquisitions of Giant and TriVu are bringing Adknowledge into the exciting, exploding industry of digital video, which should become ADK's bread and butter moving forward. Everyone at the company genuinely admires and respects both the opinions and personalities of the c-suite. It was truly a fantastic experience to work for such a positive, creative, supportive corporate environment.

To mid-level management: Employees at Adknowledge are incredibly bright-- empower them to do more of their own work without intra-departmental interference. I found myself held up on various projects throughout the summer purely because my latest draft was sitting in the email inbox of a higher-up in chain of command. I realize that corporate chains of command exist for excellent reasons, but I wonder if there is a way to further optimize the efficiency of production by removing some checks and balances during the procedural process of getting a finished project approved.

Adknowledge Response

Aug 22, 2014 – Communications manager

Thanks for posting such a thorough review! We're happy you had a good experience with Adknowledge. And thank you for hanging in there as priorities and project deadlines changed. That's digital ... More

Other Employee Reviews for Adknowledge

"No Two Days the Same at ADK"

Current Employee - Team Lead, Account Management in Kansas City, MO
    Current Employee - Team Lead, Account Management in Kansas City, MO

I have been working at Adknowledge full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The culture at Adknowledge is unlike any place I have worked in Kansas City. We really embody the phrase "work hard, play hard". There is a contagious energy in the office - everyone strives to come up with better ideas and more innovative strategies than we did the day before. Our industry is always changing, forcing us to adapt with it. No two work days are the same for this reason, which makes coming to work every day much more enjoyable. Employee are rewarded for hard work with tons of perks, like a casual dress code, catered lunches, free soda machines and Starbucks coffee. It is not uncommon to find people shooting pool, playing darts or engaging in a fierce game in the break room throughout the day.

Cons

There are a lot of opportunities to move and change positions throughout the company and to other office locations, but there is somewhat limited opportunity for upward career advancement. Senior management and leadership roles do not become available very often.

Advice to Management

I think employees would appreciate more frequent updates on the state of the business (acquisitions, changes to the organization, general updates).

Adknowledge Response

Aug 22, 2014 – Communications manager

We appreciate your candid thoughts; we try to provide frequent and timely updates on notable changes at the company. Perhaps we should re-examine our efforts and do more. Thanks!

"Some good people but needs new CEO"

Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Manager in Kansas City, MO

I worked at Adknowledge full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has recovered from volatility in 2011 due to good development of new businesses by President and a couple business unit leaders and smart acquisitions.

Cons

CEO has sales skills and a positive temperment, but he is not polished and lacks product and strategic savvy you see with top tier tech companies.

Advice to Management

Replace the CEO with the President. The CEO can stay, just in a sales role