Advance Auto Parts - Hard work, no thought | Glassdoor

"Hard work, no thought"

Current Employee - Order Filler in Delaware, OH
Current Employee - Order Filler in Delaware, OH

Pros

Great benefits, awesome people, not a whole lot goes wrong here. It's hard work, but easy to do. Just have to make rate.

Cons

Many people complain about changes to the company, even if they do help. Sick time isn't received until 6 months after employment. If you leave even to go to the hospital it still counts against you.

Advice to Management

A few things still need work, but it's getting there. Many of the TMs are unhappy, but they will improve.

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"Good job if you are in the right store."

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Orlando, FL

Pros

Advance is a great company to work for. They offer plenty of opportunities for advancement. They have computer based training. They have full health benefits for a reasonable price. Direct deposit. Employee purchasing program

Cons

Raises are dependent on store performance and not individual performance.
    Stores are staffed based on performance from 4 weeks ago. If you are busy this week but was slow 4 weeks ago the computer will forecast lower hours which will leave you understaffed.

Advice to Management

Be more professional in scheduling your employees. Don't hire part time employees and then work them 40 hours week until they are almost converted to full time employees and then only schedule them for 6 hours week to keep from having to pay them benefits. It just lowers all of the employees moral and leaves the store understaffed. In return you get longer wait times for commercial customers by having to pull someone from commercial to work up front or having someone from retail work in the back to cover the commercial phones.

"Was A Great Place Until The Started Cutting Resources"

Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Commercial Account Manager in Boston, MA

Pros

Learning about cars and different sales techniques. Flexibility of my schedule, company car.

Cons

Bonus program was constantly changing. In fact, CEO Darren Jackson was quoted in the Wall Street Journal as saying the following: "This 138 basis point decrease was primarily due to reduced incentive compensation, benefits from the company’s new variable customer driven labor model which includes the anniversary of investment rollout expenses, as well as a significant decrease in support costs." They obviously do not want to pay bonus, yet the CEO team is collecting millions of dollars in incentives every year. Goals were unrealistic. Middle management was very condescending toward employees. I was one of the top performers in the company yet whenever I mentioned an idea, my sales manger would say "you are just a Cam and don't have the right to do anything." They preach that they want everyone to be a leader and step up when something needs to be done, yet they jump all over you when you do so. The people in middle management seem to feel threatened if anyone working for them has any success.They constantly cut resources to the point that it was impossible to grow the business. There is little to no advancement opportunity. They stopped posting most open positions and hired from outside the company. People who do get promoted are doing so based on sucking up to the Commercial Vice President. I was the fifth person in my district to resign in less than 3 weeks. Once the word was out that I had left, I started receiving calls from people all over the country. Every one was a call of support telling me that I did the right thing and that they were also looking. Many stores are running with one or two people all day and the do not have enough drivers to deliver to commercial accounts. The average delivery time is 80 minutes which is unacceptable to a commercial account. They can't seem to be able to decide if they want to do commercial or focus on retail. I made a very good living and learned a lot at Advance Auto Parts and felt fortunate to have a job but the lack of focus and support was a joke. The stock price dropped 15 points in one day. The ship is sinking. I resigned for a much better opportunity. There are currently 7 openings in a district that only has 13 people in the role that I was in.

Advice to Management

Get out of commercial and leave it to the companies who actually understand it. Otherwise, keep doing what you have been and then change the signs on every building from Advance Auto Parts to RMS Titanic. Congratulations to Darren Jackson and Mike Nirona for being able to make millions of dollars while cutting resources and hours of people who were not well paid to beging with.