Advance Auto Parts - Direction Unknown | Glassdoor

"Direction Unknown"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative
Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Always something to challenge you - so you don't get bored - Wide range of customers makes for a interesting day - but i'm a longtime car guy so i'm right at home in this enviroment.Co workers and in store management are great to work with.

Cons

Advance seems to be uncertain of their direction right now - seems to be shifting more toward number watching rather than servicing the customer - stores are frequently understaffed.I understand the need to control costs in a business - but this a service based business more than a retail business-unlike Walmart and the like,most of our customers need assistance to purchase what they need.

Advice to Management

Ease off the micromanaging and give the manager the authority to manage their stores - we have to make a return to service first for the customer - and training for the employees - if you take care of the customer - and have properly trained employees in the store - the sales numbers will be there .

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

1. "Good place to work, if you have a thick skin."

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Williamsport, PA
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Williamsport, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Helping out the customers that need your help, it feels good to do something that I find simple that makes a customer's day. I truly respect most of the people I work with, most have the knowledge and skills that help the store thrive and make customers happy.

Cons

Well the pay and the hours are less to be desires. Even if you have the education and credentials you are still treated like a burden because "you didn't put the time in". Some management is a victim of the "retail curse": "Well you've been here long enough, would you like to run the place". The computer systems are awful, I use my smart phone so many times during the day to find thins for customers.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the people who make a difference at the bottom line, not the people you're friends with.

"Not a place that appreciates your hard work"

Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro
    Current Employee - Retail Parts Pro

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Who doesn't like someone treating you like a hero for some simple task? Most customers do appreciate us, and I appreciate them.
    The job is fairly low impact physically for a manager with health issues.
    As a third tier retail manager, I am paid slightly higher than Glassdoor has my job title's pay rate listed, but then again, I've been stuck in essentially the same position for 8+ years, so I'm not sure that's a pro.

Cons

Currently, I do the AGM job without the AGM pay. My store has no AGM, so I'm a defacto AGM.

In my experience, and biased perspective: There is little need in this company for educated, professional, experienced, honest, loyal, hard working, ambitious, and proficient leaders. I have all the obvious qualifications for a GM job (Business management degree, ASE certification, experience, etc...). However, I cannot get the DM to enroll me in the management training course. I have been rejected for general manager jobs because I have not been through the course, and I have not been to the course because I failed a computerized psychological test years ago. I did pass that same test over a year ago, but it has not changed my opportunities. I'm seldom informed of opportunities that open up. I have to pursue them myself when I hear of them through the rumor mill. To top it all off, I've seen people whom I have supervised, who didn't want to work while they are at work, get opportunities I have been passed up for. That is demoralizing.

This is a stressful job (mostly due to thin staffing). I had a possibly related life threatening health event, and, according to my district manager, I almost lost my job due to the one month my doctor ordered I take off. That entire month was covered by my accrued sick time. You could get fired for almost dropping dead and using sick time here.

Advice to Management

Look out for good old boy networks. Have somebody other than a DM in charge of a district and his DM buddy from the neighboring district scout your talent.