Advance Auto Parts - Good some days, intolerable others | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"Good some days, intolerable others"

Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL
Former Employee - Retail Sales, MVR, Key Holder in Orlando, FL

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the people I worked with were friendly and somewhat knowledgeable when considering auto parts. A lot of the regular customers were very friendly and understanding as well.

Cons

If you worked with a team member that had no idea what they were doing, they were making your life more miserable because you'd have to pick up their slack.

Roughly 60% of the job is testing/installing batteries or checking OBD II codes. Company policy states we are not allowed to tell them what the OBD codes mean, but customers are never satisfied with just the code because they're expecting a free rundown of exactly what's wrong with their car. It boils down to a retail job offering free services that are heavily taken advantage of.

Advice to Management

A large majority of the store managers are very easy to work with. Power tripping seems to be prevalent with the aren't

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"I was extremely disappointed with how they dealt with promotions and salary increases."

Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Queens Village, NY
    Former Employee - Retail Parts Pro in Queens Village, NY

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I had good coworkers. Mostly everyone was hardworking and helped one another out without complaint.

Cons

No flexibility in schedule, the manager did not put in requests for scheduled days off, even with 2 + weeks notice.

Advice to Management

Promotions shouldn't be given at no additional increase in salary

"NOT SO GREAT ANYMORE"

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Nashville, TN

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have been with AAP for over almost 4 years. Met some great customers and have built solid relationships. Taking care of my commercial customers with the right parts so they can be successful is rewarding.

Cons

Well where do I start? Seems within the middle to last part of 2012 there have been MAJOR hour cuts and MAJOR micro-managing. Company does not seem to know what direction to take. GMs are puppet managers. I am the Commercial Parts Pro (CPP) at my store and have to help out on the front end CONSTANTLY including checking batteries and engine lights and this is frustrating to my commercial accounts that are spending big $$ with us 5-8k per week for just one account. Have lost several accounts because of this. I have been told they can walk in to Napa or another competitor and don't have to wait on the commercial parts guy to get off the retail counter or get done checking a engine light. Part of our FREE services by the way. Ignite sales reports are demoralizing the team and making part time team members feel they are worthless. Corporate wants sales $$ but cuts staffing. CDL is a JOKE. You can be outside for 30-45 minutes with customers doing our FREE services and not get $1 in sales. Yet CDL is based on sales. LOL. Yet there will be a line with 5 to 6 paying customers and 1 guy at the counter. People walking out because of excessive waiting. AAP use to have it together but now I will be giving my notice within the next several weeks. Too much inconsistency.

Advice to Management

It all starts at the top. One thing for sure....leave your commercial team alone and stop using them as front end help. We are the ones that brings in the $$. Its in commercial hard parts, not wash and wax. Let your GMS be GMS. As long as they follow company policy and procedures that is fine. Get rid of CDL. It does not work. It might also help if the GMs have a little parts knowledge. I have worked with 8 different managers in 4 years and only one of them used to be a technician such as myself. No surprise to me that he has one of the highest store sales in the company. The rest have came from banks, Kmart, Dell, etc.