Advance Auto Parts - Remember "The best part is our people" | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"Remember "The best part is our people""

Former Employee - Recruiter in Roanoke, VA
Former Employee - Recruiter in Roanoke, VA

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits, career opportunities and career growth. Nice clean, modern stores. Excellent opportunity to interact with customers.

Cons

General Managers are more micromanaged now than in years past. General Managers now have a set schedule and must get DM approval for exceptions. Example if a General Manager wants to open on Friday instead of closing approval of the District Manager is required. That wasn't required in the past.

Advice to Management

Remember "the best part is our people". Let the General Managers have the flexibility needed to run the stores.

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"You get out what you put in, it can be rewarding but you'll have to work or know everyone."

Former Employee - General Manager in Concord, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Concord, NC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Pay was decent, the ability to interact with company professionals from all over was outstanding.

Cons

Hard work doesn't always pay off. You could work 45-75 hours and get a pat on the back or a slap in the face either way. Like most other corporations. It's all about who you know and how willing your superior is towards when to advance you.

Advice to Management

Get your act together and be on the same page as the field. Launching applications or making major changes for the sake of doing so without proper follow through or enough thought was embarrassing to tell my team. I received more congrats for leaving then I did for going to Key West for the top 1%.

"Not a place to stay at"

Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Goldsboro, NC
    Current Employee - Mobile Parts Pro in Goldsboro, NC

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its a job
    Discount on car parts
    Somewhat flexible hours

Cons

Dealing with the public - This can sometimes be great, but often its very challenging due to our hands being tied in what we can and can't do or our stocking.
    Too many managers - 3 managers to ever non management employee.
    No consistency in shifts unless you have another job - You will close one night, open the next day, work a mid shift, open, then close around that order.
    Schedule usually isn't posted until the last day of the work week.
    Most management is hired off the street and employees who stay with the company for years are usually stuck in the same positions.
    No raises - Even people who've I've talk with that have been with the company for seven years still have not gotten a single raise.
    Unrealistic goals - A small store in a small country town can't possibly meet the same goals as a major city town.
    Micromanagement central - They try to control everything in the store.
    Poor stocking - Often makes sure you're well stocked on the parts you don't sell while rarely keep items that are on sell stocked which makes the sales people look terrible.

Advice to Management

Reward the employees who've stayed with you with raises and promotions.
    Promote from within. Its tiresome for some entry level employees to have to train their managers.
    Create and incentive program to do well.