Advance Auto Parts - A great learning experience, but not an ideal career path. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"A great learning experience, but not an ideal career path."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than a year)

Pros

I loved my immediate coworkers, and you will definitely learn a lot. Getting 20% off of car parts helps out when you need to fix your own ride too.

Cons

Upper management is pretty much worthless, and your pay is based off of how much product you sell, so you are pressured to push extra stuff onto customers, which I never liked doing.

Advice to Management

Let store managers write their own schedule - you can't run a store with only 2 people on a shift at any given time, regardless of what your numbers say.

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

""Service is our Best Part" to new "Servicing the Customer is our Job". Use any innuendo needed."

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Levittown, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Levittown, PA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Purchases are discounted...but that lower price can be had as a walk in at any and all other stores. As a sale assistant, you get to sell some of the finer things in the auto parts world. Example parts and items include Needa Parts (versus Help parts), AutoCraft tools (versus any brand found at Harber Freight)

Cons

The "Open air Service Area" (from 100 degrees F to -20 degree F), where customers exploit free services (...do customer know prices are marked up for these "free" services?).
    Ignite Goal: now need to have a SPH at about 10 times your hourly wage. Not a true goal, nor does it have a chance of being sustainable.

Advice to Management

Hire people with any auto acuman, you are a auto parts store, not an auto trinket store.
    Have a complete catalog, not one with holes from 2011 car models models up.
    Start treating your sales associates with respect, do not demand and threaten them with employement status because goals are not meet.
    Start advertising.

"Poor District Leadership"

Former Employee - General Manager in Hendersonville, NC
    Former Employee - General Manager in Hendersonville, NC

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy Job, business pretty much runs itself if you have established commercial contacts. Great customers on the commercial side to do business with if you are a car guy.

Cons

Management wants you to stay under the radar and sweep problems under the rug rather than bring attention to them. Massive internal theft. Stores in my district ran 50-55K per year in theft and preventable losses without an eyelash batted by corporate. Company as a whole has no real direction on the retail side and does not know how to move forward to increase business and profits. Sort of floundering directionless in regards to retail sales at the moment and trying to bring metric based sales into the company.

Advice to Management

Poor district leadership and a business as usual attitude is holding back the company. Massive preventable losses are being swept under the rug and woe to anyone who brings attention to them.