Advance Auto Parts - Excellent place to work! | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - District Leader
Current Employee - District Leader

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Advance Auto Parts provides a great benefits package with 401k matching contribution, health insurance, and extremely competitive salary plus bonuses. Great place to work.

Cons

On the clock 24/7 with little personal time. This may be a personal issue with my style as well.

Advice to Management

MIS need to be updated more frequently and with team members input and suggestions.

Other Employee Reviews for Advance Auto Parts

"possibly the worst experience of my life"

Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Gate City, VA
    Current Employee - Commercial Parts Pro in Gate City, VA

I have been working at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

pay was average for position. most other fellow employees were good to work with. my hours were pretty constant. they paid for my ASE Parts specialist test

Cons

First the location I worked in had a "poor quality" of customers that were at most times uneducated, and very "backwoods" kind of thinking where duct tape and "something in a can" was the proper way to fix things.and " just give me the cheapest thing you got" is the customers first words 80% of the time. That in consideration, :

When I started, the idea was, sell as much as you can, keep the customers you have and always try to get and keep new customers, have a good time doing it. Well that's changed. now its if you don't sell the "premium" products that the store most times doesn't even have and little packets of goo for a $1.50 each, you will be fired!

Upper management lies to you and offers no real help. they just threaten you. Last year when we got a new commercial sales rep, he went out and first thing he asked my commercial customers why don't the buy from one of our other stores and suggested they tried them. the he lied to them and tole them we would have more help and another delivery truck. don't expect bonuses. Sales goals and inventory are set to make you fail, depending on the store you are in. no standards between stores. You only have a chance if you don't "care" about the quality if items you sell, and you work in one of the "all mighty stores" that can do no wrong. my "title was "deleted" and I was told by the regional manager that this was the way it was going to be in all stores. well, he lied straight to my face.

How much money does this company make? And we use computers that rival only the "Commodore 64" and only works sometimes, and it it the worst "cataloging" I have ever seen anywhere. INVEST SOME MONEY IN THIS!

No where in the company's vocabulary is there such a word as "thank you", "respect", "admiration", or the phrase, " you did a great gob". "our people are are best part" should be changed to " our people are worthless and we can always find more"

The name of the company is misleading. there's more "high profit items" in the store than there is parts. you cant sell air fresheners, steering wheel covers, or cleaning wipes in place of any hard parts.
      And I must mention that i feel sorry for most of the store managers. i would never wish the garbage you have to deal with on anyone. Everything can change monthly. And trying to run a store on the limited hours that are given, having only two people in the store over 40% of the time, i mean why would you expect ANYTHING to get done? and why would employees be "motivated" after getting ripped a new one for not making sales goals that are impossible?

If you work for car quest right now you may think it is great. Be ware, you are in for a rude awakening. Assume the position and get ready.

If you have no life, and never want one, and just want to be used and thrown away, APPLY TODAY ! There will be an opening soon.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the CEO and clean out the top management! pull your head out, and see what you are doing. you destroy a lot of good people by following the idea the you can use them and then just replace them. respect your employees. they are the reason you YOU have a job! Lying to and threatening your employees is not the answer. make standards apply equally to everyone.
    GET A FOCUS!

"Stagnant, few growth opportunities"

Former Employee - General Manager in Binghamton, NY
    Former Employee - General Manager in Binghamton, NY

I worked at Advance Auto Parts full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If you like cars and want to work on cars in the parking lot, this is the place for you.

Cons

Advance has moved far away from promoting from within. Negligible opportunity to move beyond the store level. The standard is to recruit district manager and higher level positions from outside of the company, No internal programs for training and development of general managers.
    Lower than industry average pay with long hours. General managers are currently required to work 55 hour weeks.