Advantage Business Media - I truly valued my employment and position at ABM and regret that I was laid off. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Advantage Business Media

"I truly valued my employment and position at ABM and regret that I was laid off."

Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Regional Account Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

ABM provides its employees with autonomy to perform their job in a way that fits their own personal way of doing business. I enjoyed being given the independence to control my own performance and success which enabled me to be at 97% to plan (when the company as a whole was 71% to revenue goal) when I was laid off.

Cons

I found that while ABM had the right intentions (to be successful and profitable as a relatively new company) the leadership and management team lacked the ability to put a plan in place to achieve success and see it through. Their "throw it at the wall and see what sticks" approach created feelings of uncertainty and insecurity company wide.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the leadership and management team's ability to hire talent from many different backgrounds and feel that it makes for a diversified company with opportunities to learn from peers. Keep it up!

Other Employee Reviews for Advantage Business Media

"Great Place to work, as long as you work hard"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Madison, WI

Pros

ABM is a good place to work but you have to be self-sufficient and motivated.

-Laid back atmosphere
    -Possibility to make EXCELLENT starting wage
    -Excellent benefits package
    -Opportunities for travel
    -Coworkers are helpful and eager to teach

Cons

-Training is poor, you have to be good at learning on the fly and have a natural ability to work in this atmosphere.
    -Some sales people are caddy and dramatic, but don't bother you if you don't bother them
    -Management will come down on you hard if you are not doing your job

Advice to Management

Seek out employee feedback more often

"The Bitter Berries"

I have been working at Advantage Business Media full-time

Pros

I have worked at ABM for more than five years and have seen my fair share of employees come and go. I find the negative reviews somewhat comical, as most of them are from former employees who have been either let go due to (much-needed) company re-alignment or who simply were not fulfilling their job duties to an acceptable level.

I have read reviews that complain about having large amounts of free time available for surfing the web or not having enough to do. Those same people complain about hard work not being recognized. Take it from me - someone who started at an entry level position - if you work hard, say “yes,” and show that you are a go-getter, you will be noticed and rewarded.

There are far more opportunities now than there were five years ago. New projects are also a regular occurrence, which offer willing employees ample opportunities to step up, get involved, showcase their work, and get noticed. This rarely happened in the past.

Do not listen to the bitter berries, as they are just that: bitter. There are plenty of people who work hard, have fun, and love what they do on a day-to-day basis here. In response to the claims that every positive Glassdoor review was an order from upper management, I can tell you honestly and adamantly that this is absolutely not true. I love where I work, and simply want to clear the air about the place that I and so many others work hard for and enjoy.

Overall, ABM has been very good to me and I have learned a great deal from people who have worked here. During my time at ABM, I have gained valuable experience and I enjoy coming to work each day to help make this organization the best it can be. So, to those who have tried to slam ABM, I have to say: ripen up, bitter berries. Learn how to work harder, and adopt a hustler mentality, even if it’s outside of your comfort zone – you might surprise yourself!

Cons

Some more company updates could be beneficial. Benefits are quite expensive and have high deductibles.