Aerotek - Good first job | Glassdoor

"Good first job"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Recruiter in Plano, TX

Pros

Fun environment with great people. You learn a lot about recruiting in a short period of time. Training is great and if you can stick around long enough then you'll eventually start to get some good commission

Cons

The hours - you'll easily be working 60 hours a week, probably more. Plus, after your probation ends, you're a salaried employee, so it's not like you'll be making anything for that overtime. They give you laptops, but only allow you to work from home when you're using PTO, or after you've left the office. Your schedule is technically flexible, in that you can leave early or take a long lunch to take care of personal things...as long as it only happens a few times a year.

Base pay is ridiculously low for the commission structure when you're a recruiter. If you can get promoted to an ARM role then you get a cut of all that company's contractors and can start to really build your commissions. As a recruiter you'll stay at the base pay (which was in the low 30s when I was there) DEFINITELY for the first year and probably most of the second. If you're single and don't have any major debt, then it's not a bad job.

Also, there's no real advancement for people who don't want to to do sales. All of corporate is in the Maryland HQ.

Advice to Management

Work/Life balance is key. Allow seasoned recruiters to work remotely once or twice a week - find a way to decrease hours so employees don't burn out in 6 months. I know this is a sales organization but you've got to get someone in leadership to look at the employee dissatisfaction and make some recommendations.

Other Employee Reviews for Aerotek

1. "It was ok, not the best not the worst."

Former Employee - Temporary in South San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Temporary in South San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you are smart, they will help you find a good job.

Cons

Not a lot of work opportunities for someone with a BA in Political Science. The person assigned to me didn't really check in that often with me too.

"Shady Practices"

Current Employee - Chemist in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Chemist in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Aerotek full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Put me into a good position.

Cons

The benefits are non-existing but that would take more words than I possible want to write. I am complaining about their shady practices.
    The supposed contract ties you so you cannot leave the contractor without switching jobs. Getting a review is almost impossible. Even if you get the highest performance rating you can get from the people you actually work for they still will give you the Milton (from the movie Office Space) run around.
    "Talk to 3M sourcing about your review."
    "No, talk to Aerotek about initiating your reveiw."
    No, talk to 3M sourcing about it."
    On and onnnn and on.
    The weirdest part about all of it. I think it is their POLICY to do this because they know that either you haven't been working for very long, don't have the resources to complain, or managers don't have time to bother with it and it states in your contract that you cannot switch vendors.

We'll see about that.

Advice to Management

The effort you put into contractors is pathetic. Other contract companies are chomping at the bit to get my contract. I'm not sure why Aerotek doesn't care.