Aetna - My time at Aetna was very challenging in a positive way | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

"My time at Aetna was very challenging in a positive way"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

Great working atmosphere. Tons of opportunity to grow through the learning center.

Cons

No matter how above and beyond you go it seems like you are always rated a three on your score card.

Other Employee Reviews for Aetna

1. "I've grown personally and professionally since working for Aetna"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

Aetna allows a lot of employees to work from home which is very convenient for employees with families, it also helps now that gas prices are so high.

Aetna provides several tools to help employees further their careers.

There are a lot of amentities in the Hartford, CT office such as a gym, a store, a pharmacy, a doctor on site, chair massages, vendors who come weekly and sell things (it's nice to take a break and shop duing the day!), financial planners you can meet with onsite and Aetna also offers many free workshops to it's employees for career AND personal growth such as parenting classes and personal financial workshops there are also many opportunities for volunteering and getting involved in the community.

Cons

If you don't park in the garage (Hartford, CT office) it's a far walk to the lots and there are always reports of people getting robbed/attacked.

In my opinion, (I've only experienced this in my current dept. it may be different elsewhere) it's all about who you know and who likes/doesn't like you, promotions are never given based on actual work performance. You'll get farther by "playing the game" and going along with whatever management says rather than having a mind of your own!

Advice to Management

I think managers should take feedback seriously and not make excuses for problems going on, instead they should try and solve problems with the feedback they are given. (Again, this is based on my personal experience I don't know if it's fair to judge Aetna as a whole on this)

2. "Innovative and collaborative environment, tough work-life balance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hartford, CT

Pros

* very innovative and forward thinking leadership team
    * strong identification with, and adherance to, company values
    * integrity of leadership and general employee population
    * collaborative environment - if you don't cooperate, you won't be successful
    * inspiring vision (desire to be the very best in the industry worldwide)

Cons

* tough to maintain work-life balance; management encourages it, but does not effectively role model it
    * health benefits not as competitive as they could be
    * high pressure, metrics driven environment