Aetna - first couple years OK but got unbearable | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

"first couple years OK but got unbearable"

Former Employee - Underwriter in Hartford, CT
Former Employee - Underwriter in Hartford, CT

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are some talented people at Aetna but many are leaving for good reasons. I enjoyed working with my immediate supervisor.

Cons

Aetna was an OK place to work for the first 2 years of my career there. More recently, there was WAY too much work for the number of people on my team but management refused to hire despite great revenue and earnings. Making a decision (i.e., needing multiple layers of managment to make it for you) is a painfully slow, inefficient, ambiguous process.

Advice to Management

Do something with the information you glean from the employee surveys. Keep your promises to employees.

Other Employee Reviews for Aetna

"Excellent company"

Former Employee - Quality Analyst WAH in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Quality Analyst WAH in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The environment is employee friendly and the employees are tremendous. They are encouraging of "Work at Home" positions, with 20-30 % of the employees doing so by 2014.

Cons

They outsourced the Pharmacy Benefit Manager division, so pharmacy jobs are very limited at Aetna, but the Medical and Life insurance departments are growing!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with listening to the employees and working with them, not against them.

2. ".NET Developer"

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Aetna full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Aetna is a great company to work for, with overall good benefits except for Medical. The management team is great!

Cons

For medical benefits they offer an HSA where you pay most of the stuff out of pocket. They also offer
    lower then market pay using the health benefits as a carrott but its not really that good.

Advice to Management

Its one of the greatest companies I ever worked for. Great managers but allow employees to buy same good plans that customers can buy (medical insurance)