Aetna - Excellent place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aetna

"Excellent place to work!"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast paced environment; flexibility for work at home; opportunity for advancement

Cons

High turnover due to competitive employment options

Advice to Management

Continue to foster growth; positive feedback for those who are succeeding

Other Employee Reviews for Aetna

"Hard work and long hrs, depending on the role you have. Good work/life policies if you can take advantage."

Former Employee - IT Project Manager
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager

I worked at Aetna (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good policies for flexible work schedules. Potential for remote work depending on role since Aetna does a lot of conference calls for meetings and has virtual teams. People are professional.

Cons

Depending on work area and role, can be very overworked. Layoffs are a part of life at Aetna, typically coming every year to two. As with any large company, there are politics.

2. "Moved Around"

Current Employee - Claims Data Specialist in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Claims Data Specialist in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Aetna full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Relatively flexible schedule
    Paid time off (PTO)
    Ability to work through lunches

Cons

I was recently moved from an Aetna team to a Coventry team to aide in the processing of claims for the ACA, Health Exchange.

The joining of these two companies has been very rocky. I work in a site where we had both Aetna and Coventry offices and they combined us into one building. We as Aetna employees were instructed to have a positive attitude and make the Coventry employees feel welcome. I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly have done my part to try and make them feel welcome in this new environment. However, since being moved from an Aetna team to a Coventry managed on I can say that my job has taken a job for the worse.

Prior to my move I processed claims for our Transplant unit and I loved my job. However, I knew that with our merger with the new company that our specialty units would be taking a hit as far as the number of employees went, so when the opportunity came to take a new position on this new team I jumped at it. Boy did I ever make a huge mistake.

I sit in an area surrounded by former Coventry employees. There are a few that are very nice, but most of them give my team dirty looks and won't answer back if we try to say hi or good morning. Our new management has a serious chip on their shoulder about being bought out and definately takes it out on us, really enforcing what "their" interpretation is of Aetna policy. They've taken away many of the benefits that I've enjoyed in the 6 years that I've worked here as a claims processor, such as a flexible start time and being able to borrow PTO (both of which are still policy in our office, but our new management has chosen not to allow either due to "business" needs.) I can no longer plan on a vacation with my family since I'm not able to borrow PTO and this has caused MANY problems and great upset with the rest of my team. Management also acts like we're supposed to stay two seperate companies and not join into one, which goes against everything we've heard from our CEO, Mark Bertolini.

I had applied to a position as a trainer a year ago and been accepted, but due to the merger the funding for that position was cut and I did not recieve it. Instead the Coventry trainers are going to be merged into our training program, and based on the trainer we had for our conversion class I shudder to think that these people will be represnting our company. They were only trained in one very specific area of expertise, yet we in our new positions were supposed to be doing everything. Their trainers had to bring in numerous other people to help in training, and every training course we've had since then has been a farce, since those trainers are only focused on one area.

The health benefits are a joke. An insurance company should offer more than two high deductible plans. Even with Aetna putting money into an HSA or HRA you're still paying 100's if not 1000's of dollars out of pocket before Aetna pays anything. I've seen plans by other employers that should really ashame Aetna, since there's no option for a PPO or anything other than a high deductible plan.

Aetna is constantly talking about the culture of the company as well as the Aetna value wheel. Upper management definately trots both of these out when it suits them, but pushes them to the background when they need to expedite certain issues. We're supposed to focus on collaboration, innovation, mentoring and coaching, accountability, and service to our members. However, you'll find that commitment varies from site to site and even team to team.

I do find that I have a very good work/life balance, at least I did before I had to change positions. I find that I can leave this job here and not take it home with me at the end of the day.

There is also a lot of uncertainty because of the ACA and the Health Exchanges, as well as the numerous layoffs that have just happened in the last week with over 500 people losing their jobs. As much as I've enjoyed working for this company in the past, if things don't improve I will be looking for another job.

Advice to Management

Management needs to stop pandering to their favorites and advance people that have the skills, ability, and the thinking for the position, not just the favoritism of the manager. There is a LOT of favorites that are rewarded not for what they know but for who they know.

Management also tends to reward those that have been with the company for a longer time with promotions. While I do think that you should reward your long term employess, just because they're been here for 10+ years doesn't mean they're the BEST person for the job. Younger people in their 20's and early 30's (such as myself) are often overlooked for promotions which are given to those that are older but not necessarily the best suited for a job. They're very stuck in an old fashioned mind set. I think that in order for this company to really succeed and grow in the future, they need to take advantage of the Gen Y employees they have and that untapped potential of new thinking.