Affiliated Engineers, Inc - Good Job - Just Couldn't Stay In It | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Affiliated Engineers, Inc

"Good Job - Just Couldn't Stay In It"

Former Employee - Senior Engineer - Mechanical in Phoenix, AZ
Former Employee - Senior Engineer - Mechanical in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

AEI has historically managed to win many of the most interesting and challenging projects away from its competition. Since it has succeeded with so many special and technically intense jobs, its management is well-versed and skilled in handling a wide variety of design and project management issues. Its track record of completing complex projects on time and budget is enviable, and that translates into opportunity for someone interested in expanding their career. They have several offices, which theoretically makes for more opportunities to find the right place to work. I found the management readily accessible at all levels, with even the most highly-placed people available to discuss whatever was needed.

Cons

In the short time I was there I found really nothing to complain about. It's a big organization with a lot of well-established players. There is a great deal of culture to be respected, including standard procedure that may or may not be the best way to execute a given aspect of a project. I'm referring specifically to standard details or specification language that could use some revisitation, which often doesn't happen due to time constraints. Things can take a little longer to accomplish than in a smaller organization. I found myself taking the time to ensure that the "right" people got copied on communications, often using phone calls for verification. None of this represents a problem for me - I am pretty sure that I would still be there if it weren't for this rotten economy we find ourselves in. I had hoped AEI would turn out to be more "recession-resistant" than other firms. Not so.

Advice to Management

Nothing I haven't already said while I was there. I had excellent access to senior management.

Other Employee Reviews for Affiliated Engineers, Inc

1. "Great company comprised of some very intillegent problems solvers that get to work on some amazing projects."

Pros

Great people. AEI provides you with the opportunity to work with some great clients.

Cons

Career path is unclear; professional development isn't promoted.

Advice to Management

Mentorship plans would make AEI an even better place to work.

"Mechanical Engineer II"

I have been working at Affiliated Engineers, Inc full-time

Pros

Great company to work for and even better office culture.

Cons

Often have to do all aspects of a project, from drawing setup, drafting, engineering, controls and specifications.

Advice to Management

Hire CAD techs to allow engineers opportunities for growth and advancement.