Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union - Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

"Incredibly humane credit union, cooperative co-workers, and great learning experiences"

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN
Former Employee - Member Advisor in Roseville, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee of Affinity Plus has the same level of ability to help members of the credit union. I had access and was encouraged to do as much for any member as the CEO. We were encouraged and supported in empowering and supporting members through major life events in ways that I haven't seen any financial institution do. We had time to build real relationships with people, and I felt good and right about what I did ALL THE TIME., which is so rare in jobs in the financial industry!

Plus, member advisors do everything from teller transactions, to car loans, to budgeting sessions, to every step of a mortgage (application, all underwriting, closing), to home purchases...working at Affinity Plus is as fantastic of an entry level job as it is a great job switch for financial industry career veterans. You'll learn, grow, and make people happier than they thought possible from a trip to the credit union.

Cons

The expectations and needs are definitely high for member advisors, because Affinity Plus has a lot of integrity and isn't all about teaching you what to do; the credit union is all about getting your unique skills to flourish and benefit your employees. It's the fastest growing credit union in the state and just keeps growing. So sometimes it can seem a little overwhelming at first, because you have A LOT to learn, and a lot of responsibility to go with that. But having patience and trusting yourself as a person will take you through the challenging times.

Other Employee Reviews for Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union

"You may have thought you found your dream job....think again."

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Cloud, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Saint Cloud, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits...you don't pay anything for medical coverage....State of Minnesota benefits... most of the employees were great to work with....

Cons

Management, and people that had been there for years took the credit for everything...nobody listened when they were told that people were waiting too long....on the phones, in line...Revolving door....they can't keep their staff, everyone leaves within a year.

"It is a cult!"

Former Employee - Member Advisor in Grand Rapids, MN
    Former Employee - Member Advisor in Grand Rapids, MN

I worked at Affinity Plus Federal Credit Union full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits- on the job training as in you learned on the job by yourself, their computer system makes doing consumer loans so easy anyone can to the paperwork with no training.

Cons

Verbal abuse, little to no training, management that didn't know how to execute only how to push the cult-ure. You are a renewable resource and they will find another person to replace you.
    One of the managers gets off on making staff cry during your monthly reviews, this manager has been picking on staff for years and once you are on the bottom it is only a matter of time until you will be pushed out the door. Senior management doesn't want an employee they want you to put the member ahead of yourself, your family, God and anything else you hold sacred - they want your soul. And forget having healthy boundaries, you can never say no to a member or management they expect you to drop everything to help someone anytime, even when the credit union is almost closed. There is nothing sacred. I say it is a cult because their motto became MOE, member, organization, employee. Do whatever you need to for the member without regard for your health, physically and mentally or your family. When we would have rally sections in St Paul, do you think they actually taught you how to do your job? Of course not! It was a rally session on focusing on the member and changing yourself so you could be selfless for them all the time. It was unrealistic, everyone that works there acts happy all the time because you have to, but that are miserable inside. If they aren't they probably have been there less than a year, maybe even 6 months!
    Imagine sitting at your desk, you have 10-15 mortgages to process, but you are a teller, a consumer loan officer, and answering the phones. You have a desk because you have been there a long time, but it is so incredibly busy that the 3 "tellers" at the window are opening a new account, doing a car loan or mortgage and answering the phones and the lobby gets filled, a few people at first, then 5 then 10, they come into your office because you don't have anyone in front of you but they know you have a cash drawer. Since you can never say no to these people, it is a revolving door to help them and the 10 or more mortgages take 60 or more days to process because you can't get back to the paperwork. If this was just on Fridays or something it would be manageable but the constant anxiety from the hollow promises you've told people start to wear on you. I started to add days and weeks to when I thought I could get their loans done because I had ZERO control over my work day. Since I have left I have heard of mistakes getting worse, car titles lost, mortgages not getting recorded. Unfortunately that has been happening for 10 years because you don't have the time or energy to do all that is expected in every process. The philosophy of doing what is right for the customer is right on IF you can hire AND maintain the staff who are able to do that. However when many member advisors think that saying yes to every whim and fancy for people that don't qualify for a loan is ok, you have a house of cards of bad loans, needy demanding members who want more and more.