Aflac - Very bad experience. | Glassdoor

"Very bad experience."

Former Contractor - Agent in Oak Park, MI
Former Contractor - Agent in Oak Park, MI

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

They make you think everything will be amazing. They hosted fun events and outings to build or pride in the company.

Cons

No organization. I think it depends on your region. They kept hiring and co-workers were going to the same places seeking business. Also when I landed a large account my second week I received no help form our office. When hired they said they would assist us with closing our first few sales. With a 60/40 split. Longer term employees were also stealing leads from the new personnel. This almost caused a physical altercation at one point.

Advice to Management

Make sure regional managers are doing their job.

Other Employee Reviews for Aflac

"I was told that the zip code I lived in was protected, and it was't."

Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL
    Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Ottawa, IL

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

The company overall seemed ok. (ie., products, promotional materials..) The materials are printed professionally, and are free for the order. The company has the Aflac Cancer Center for Children, which I thought was wonderful.

Cons

The training was so long with way too much crammed information in one sitting. There was not enough one on one role-play to leave training with confidence to go out on your own. My regional manager charged me for rent in his office 50 miles away, when I never set foot in his office. I was on my own for the most part. The warm leads that I did accrue myself, were taken by other agents 50 miles away. My zip code was not protected by cold calls from other areas like I was told it was going to be. After I left, the company billed me (charge-backs) for pretty much everything I had earned while I worked there.

Advice to Management

Role-play in training. Pay for at least a week of training (Combined Insurance does). Put more effort into the people that have dedicated their own time, and money to get their insurance license, and have spent their own money on gas, and food to attend your training sessions. Work with who you already have, to help them succeed.

"Better be in it for the lo"

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate in North Chicago, IL

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

*Renewals stay with you for life if you are vested with the company.
    *It takes 3 - 5 years to really be paid like this is a career, and fully vested at 10 years.... which is awesome to have. Makes me wish I started this right away and built something before having a spouse and kids and mortgage payment, etc.
    *No Territories

Cons

**No Territories
    **NO salary - not even a little one - like other large Insurance Companies offer to start.
    **Too many recruits start out gung-ho, contact like crazy, and then crash and burn after finding adversity - leaving a bad impression from business owners who have been contacted repeatedly or signed up and had their new associate leave AFLAC and they are left with a sour taste in their mouth.
    **Hard to have established life style and bills/responsibilities that must be met when just starting out.
    **Training is on a rotating basis and the first several weeks were good but then as new recruits came in, I found I was not supported nearly as well since I was beyond what they were working on and it started being more of a review. Needed training to continue, but found calling HQ and handling things with them was much more of an education than than what they did in training.