Aflac - Great company to work for, love the people, pay could have been better. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

"Great company to work for, love the people, pay could have been better."

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbus, GA
Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Columbus, GA

I worked at Aflac full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Perks and management were great. I loved the culture and all the people I worked with. They still offer a pension and 401K, which is rare these days.

Cons

Compensation could have been much better. Columbus is a small town and the mill barons like to keep it that way. They keep everyone from job hoping and force lower salaries all around.

Advice to Management

You are a very profitable company, release the purse strings and pay your staff better. This could be an even better company, much like its wonderful history, you have lost something special in the past 5 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Aflac

"Good main Company, 1950's sales force, terrible lower management."

Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Boston, MA
    Current Contractor - Sales Associate in Boston, MA

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you use your brain, and are lucky can make some money. I ran into a situation where my managers refused ot back me up on something that was specifically covered in training, and I refuse to work for a company that does that. No matter how well rated they are. I'd go back if I could have a different manager, but you get 'slaved' to the one that hires you and must do their bidding. The product is pretty good, and if they had just let run with it I think I could have done very well, however they make you go to really stupid 'sales schools' which are useless, and the actual material learned in it could be covered in 2 hours, instead of week.

Cons

bizzare sales management setup. no coordination. Training is a joke and consists of them tell you to make a million cold calls a day or else you'll never sell. On my first day 'I' was mentoring people that had been there for months better than the manager. Essentially its a boiler room operation where you make endless calls and the managers do the pitch. You get the commision, but then sometimes the managers tell you things that are not actually true, do stupid things like hold pointless sales meetings where they try to rev you up, Make you get multiple email accounts (in my case three- one for the company, one for the regional and a third for the district manager). Techno-phobic managers make you use 3x5 cards as they don't understand technology very well. (no, seriously). They will hire anyone that comes in the door, and you'll have to work with them.

Advice to Management

REVISE your sales force. Bring it at least into the 1980's. You could easily write a program to make salesmen's lives easier, cut down on the multiple email accounts, allow people to transfer to another manager if they have a real complaint, and actually train people about where to look for leads, instead of "call every company in the book until you get through." Stop hiring everyone that comes in the door and nurture the good people.

"It was the worst place I've ever worked."

Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You learn a lot about yourself because you have to pretty much teach yourself everything.

Cons

Costs about 1000 to get licensed and receive training, Saturated territories, a lot of work for little earning potential. I worked as intern and got an account that was suppose to be taken over when I went back to school, instead they demanded I pay back the only money I had made two year later.

Advice to Management

Be honest about what the job is and don't just focus on the earning potential