Aflac - Job needs a strong network | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

"Job needs a strong network"

Former Contractor - Benefits Consultant
Former Contractor - Benefits Consultant

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

If you are close with the business community or have the ability to change people's minds about their current carriers, you will do well in this job

Cons

There is a possibility you may spend more on this career than you will make

Advice to Management

At the very least, cover expenses related to the job

Other Employee Reviews for Aflac

"Aflac Coordinator in Training, with the company about 3 years now.""

Current Contractor - Coordinator In Training in Lexington, KY
    Current Contractor - Coordinator In Training in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are driven, it is easy to be successful. You just need to be self-disciplined to do the prospecting and networking. We have a saying in Kentucky, that your raise is effective when you are. Your commissions are never capped, so you are the only one that prevents you from making money. The training is phenomenal here in KY. We are well versed in Health Care Reform knowledge and sales techniques. Managers coach you to meet your goals, rather than scold you if you don't hit them. Kentucky's field force is very family oriented and a great group to work for and with. I cannot speak for other state organizations, but I love working for our management team!

Also, Aflac does amazing work for charity. We have a children's hospital in Atlanta that is run by donations made from agents and employees of Aflac.

We help so many people in their times of need through our insurance. That is more rewarding than any commission from a sale.

Cons

It is 100% commissioned pay, but what sales job isn't? Think about it. If you don't hit a quota in a salaried sales job, do you keep your job? No. Can you eat if you don't have a job? No. Well, if you don't hit your quota for your individual needs in a 100% commission job, you don't eat either. You must set goals and accomplish them. You won't be fired for not hitting your goals. You will be coached to get better.

If you are strapped for cash when starting your career, take on a part-time job nights and weekends, until you start opening accounts. Too many people have missed out on a great opportunity because they didn't have a steady cash-flow when they first started. The top agent in the state, currently, had a part-time job her first 6 months in the business, and I know a lot of other top producers and managers that did so as well.

Think of this career as being a business owner. In many new businesses it takes a few years to be profitable. This is a business with low startup costs (Licensing, gas, cell phone), that can take off quickly and be profitable in less than two weeks. If it isn't, you have to be patient and keep growing your contacts. It is not a get rich quick scheme. It is a career. If you last 20 years in this business, you can very easily retire a millionaire receiving a monthly renewal check in the thousands for the rest of your life. It is the best 401k plan I know!

Advice to Management

The senior management is doing an exceptional job. Our state's focus on attraction of qualified individuals and retention is moving us in the right direction.

"Great money, awkward approach"

Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Contractor - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Money is excellent when clients are gained (it usually takes 3+ attempts to gain a possible enrollment setting). Commission is paid as well as residuals on paid, current accounts.

Cons

Cold calling on businesses, especially the people you know. There is no salary, only commission, training is not paid, however a cold lunch was provided during training as well as lodging.

Advice to Management

Instead of long days in a room training, training should be out on the field. Would also be nice to have appointments preset instead of walking into a business unannounced, can get awkward.