Aflac - Live the dream if you're tough enough | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

"Live the dream if you're tough enough"

Current Contractor - Agent in Los Angeles, CA
Current Contractor - Agent in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

You're your own boss, great potential to make money, lots of support from your coordinators, great and inspirational training to get you started (but a lot of this comes down to the particular state operation and region you work out of)

Cons

- Pay is commission only. If you don't close, you don't make money.
- Several people I started with expressed frustration that the costs of starting weren't disclosed from the beginning (Cost to study for insurance licensing exam, cost of exam, cost to get fingerprinted, cost to get licensed, they make you pay $100-200/month to use the office, etc.)
- This is a get-rich-over-the-long-term job. You've gotta realize that it's a lot of hard work and/or limited income in the beginning, but you'll make good money in the long run if you can make it.

Advice to Management

Be real about what needs to be done to make money. What we're told makes it seem like it's a lot easier than it actually is. And make sure people know what they're getting themselves into. All you hear up front is the good stuff, and I had to push really hard to learn about the bad parts of the job, and even then I didn't feel like I was fully informed of what was coming.

Other Employee Reviews for Aflac

1. "Sales Representative"

Former Contractor - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Bayamon, PR
    Former Contractor - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in Bayamon, PR

I worked at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Insurance policies are excellent products to be sold

Cons

Management style are more for them that for the company, is like they don't want you to be part of the company, but give them your leads

Advice to Management

Don't be so persistent in having the sales representatives give you their sales potential customer

"Great opportunity to make money, but may take some time"

Current Contractor - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - AFLAC Field Sales Agent in New York, NY

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Mainly for those with an entrepreneurial spirit. Commission only, but there is viable opportunity to make money if you're willing to put in the time to play the numbers game
    doing cold calling and knocking doors.

Cons

I work at a NYC area office. The office structure is rather odd for such a large corporation. It's a boutique office type of environment.  Each location is basically an Aflac franchise. Overhead expenses are paid for by the regional manager and his partner/s.  These partners operate autonomously even though they represent the same company. This results into a lack of communication as members from one team do not know any of the managers or agents from other teams. Further overhead is allocated among district managers and top producers who rent out one of their cubicles or office spaces.   Minor expenses such as cups and coffee are regulated and people who wish to help themselves to such luxury have to pitch in or bring their own.  This is rather tacky IMO. It gives a penny pinching impression in this multi billion dollar corporation.  When I found out that we were free to make copies and send out faxes at no cost I took a sigh of relief.

Advice to Management

People promoted to management should look, as well as act professionally. One should not have to wonder how they ever made to management.