Aflac - Beware charge-backs and expenses for purchasing equipment you will eventually need to write business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aflac

"Beware charge-backs and expenses for purchasing equipment you will eventually need to write business"

Current Contractor - Agent in San Jose, CA
Current Contractor - Agent in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

Flexible, good first job to develop sales experience. Product is reasonably priced and designed.

Cons

Commissions-only pay, and charge-backs for written business can drastically reduce income potential.
Depending on the region you work at, competition by incoming (inexperienced) agents can lower average income significantly.
Company reputation has suffered due to high employee turnover (see the two cons listed above)

Advice to Management

1. Establish customer service positions that are paid on a salary basis to maintain customer relations as agents come in and leave.
2. Require agent development goals from managerial positions, including requirements for PAYMENT for new agents that are asked to service existing accounts.

Other Employee Reviews for Aflac

1. "Don't do it!!!"

Current Contractor - Sales Agent in Hot Springs National Park, AR
    Current Contractor - Sales Agent in Hot Springs National Park, AR

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

unlimited income potential if you have 6 months - 1 year of income saved up, fun job, you are your own boss, terrific rewards if you are successful

Cons

The market is oversaturated with Aflac agents and they just keep on recruiting!!!
    Commission only!!! You don't sell, you don't get paid. I worked an 8 hour day - driving and burning up gas most days to not make a darn thing. They just hire you to get your 'hot' list of people you know and don't care that it is super hard to make it out there after you've used up the people you know because they just recruit someone else (or two) to take you place and use them, and so on and so on.

Advice to Management

Stop freaking recruiting!!!! Too many agents in the field.

"Not recommended"

Current Contractor - Insurance Agent in West Union, IA
    Current Contractor - Insurance Agent in West Union, IA

I have been working at Aflac as a contractor

Pros

Great company history of creating products to help people in a time of need.
    Extensive plan combinations that compliment a person's future unexpectancies.
    State training is very honest, comprehensive, and motivating.

Cons

They position is advertised as having a flexible schedule, however it only means you determine when you do the work. There is actually more involved than what is explained up front. It is not made clear that the start up includes a regular 40 hour week of "calling", PLUS an additional 10-15 hours of paperwork, studying, etc, PLUS, 7 trips to Des Moines over 9 weeks for training, PLUS, mandatory Monday morning meetings at your regional office. So yes you can decide what hours you make calls and do paperwork, outside of the trainings and meetings, but there is only so much time in a day. It's impossible to make money if you aren't making the 40 hours of calls per week. So that still leaves a lot more of your "flexible time" used up after hours which does take away from personal time that you would have otherwise with a regular 40 hour a week job.

Over saturation of agents in the market. Most businesses have already been contacted by other agents (in all areas), so you are not only overcoming the " another salesperson perception", but another Aflac salesperson perception also. Training teaches you a comback to say when you hear that you're the 4th ot 5th rep to stop, but it's the same comeback the 4th and 5th reps are taught as well, so the businesses have still heard the same thing over and over. Therefore it is still very difficult to get the initial conversation which may or maynot lead to an enrollment. The entire process takes a long time with each business, which means it takes a lot of effort and follow up and time before you get paid.

My manager seems to be successful because of his title and plaques and mercedes, however I found no evidence of his positive traits that got him to where he is today. I found his approach to be offensive and not genuine towards employers and employees. I didn't benefit from my experience with him, actually found it to be a waste of my time and at times had a negative impact on my contacts with businesses. I got more our of the state coordinator and his team than I got from the district manager.

Overall, it is a very stressful experience without the initial income to make it all seem worth it. I feel as though i was painted a pretty picture during the interview, and then came to find the reality was very different.

Advice to Management

Don't hire just any person, hire a better quality and work harder with them instead of working half way hard with so many different people whom half of which will quit in the first 6 months. It makes associates feel less valuable which decreases morale on top of the emotional toll cold calling already takes on a person.

Come up with some start out pay to keep associates going throughout the training process so the potential for longivity of associates increases. You might loose a good associate due to the long process it takes to build their business because they still have to pay bills in the meantime. Aflac as a company realizes most people in general don't save enough money to live off of for more than a month or so, and can't get money for regular bills from other sources. This concept is the reason Aflac plans are so useful to persons who are injured or sick, so why can't some type of plan be implemented to help people who want to work for the company but can't generate income otherwise until their training is completed?