Air Force Civilian Service - Civil Service Employee | Glassdoor

"Civil Service Employee"

Current Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX
Current Employee - Engineer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Air Force Civilian Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay for professionals, working with mostly good, hardworking people trying to do the right thing by accomplishing mission goals. Some employee benefits are good such as time off for annual or sick leave.

Cons

There used to be a civilian career track to get promoted, for example if you were mobile and willing to work in remote parts of the country/out of the country for several years at a time, and you were serious about your work, you could move up and get regularly promoted. Now, all of these higher paying civil service jobs are handed to retired military officers who are friends with the hiring managers. The Officers, while good people with similar skills, were not were not groomed to do the jobs in the same manner. They were on their own track and were able to retire after 20 years with full benefits.
Not all of the benefits are good - for example, I pay more (over $10K/year) for health insurance benefits that are less inclusive than friends/family get in the private sector.
We are the scapegoats for the haters in Congress that instituted the same programs that they say are wasteful!
Morale is at an all time low because hard working middle-class people like myself are losing pay (no raise in three years and higher cost of insurance/taxes) and vilified for doing our jobs.

Advice to Management

Do

Other Employee Reviews for Air Force Civilian Service

1. "Intern Software Developer"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Air Force Civilian Service as an intern

Pros

The pay was fair, there were full benefits available, and they usually hire after graduation.

Cons

Very frustration to work at the pace of government and be bound by the red tape and.

Advice to Management

Give people the tools they need to do their job succesfully

"Mediocre"

Pros

The pay is reasonable depending upon the job. I work with a flex schedule, as long as I get my 8 hours in during normal duty hours I am fine. The vacation time is good after you hit the 3 year point. At 3 years you receive 6 hours of annual leave per pay period and 4 hours of sick leave per pay period.

Cons

Often times common sense solutions are bogged down by bureaucratic nonsense. There is a lot of unnecessary ancillary training that is required.

Advice to Management

Allow people to become experts in their field and quit hosting unnecessary briefings for visitors. Continually taking trips just to spend your budget and ensure you receive the same budget the following year is unethical for leaders that are supposed to display integrity first.