Airbnb - Disorganized chaos | Glassdoor

"Disorganized chaos"

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing food, resource enriched regarding hardware. The co founders and CEO appear to actually care about the company, but unfortunately are blinded by the "big" tech crunch feature.

Cons

Terrible management across various departments. No pathway available for success. EVERYONE IN CX are underpaid and over worked. I've seen really REALLY good people quit or strangely fired from the company. The IT team is a nuthouse with an exception of the two people who don't work there anymore. Such a disappointment.

Advice to Management

You need to listen to what your colleagues are happy with and figure out the best solution from there. Get your egos out your ass.

Other Employee Reviews for Airbnb

"Bait & switch, Second-class citizen outside of HQ"

Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist
    Current Employee - Customer Experience Specialist

I have been working at Airbnb full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being a remote employee. Not being micro-managed. Health & dental benefits.

Cons

Being a remote employee- These positions are becoming officially dead-ended. If you don't work at HQ or Dublin, your ability to move beyond a team lead doesn't exist. And it's on purpose.

Most of Customer Support is outside of HQ and are remote employees, but are being held to unrealistic, ridiculous metrics. Not only that, but part of what was so cool about joining Airbnb as a remote employee was the possibility of spending time in other countries and living out of an Airbnb listing while working- that's been axed. We're given travel coupons, but in Customer Support, we can't travel during holidays or high travel season (ie: 6 months of the year), so it's a fairly useless 'perk.' I'd much rather be paid the $30 or so per day in a food stipend that people in HQ get by being fed 3 meals a day. And/or get paid more in cash. A real bonus of cold, hard cash would go a long way- especially after seeing one of the founders featured in a Vanity Fair article about him attending Sun Valley, described as 'Summer Camp for Billionaires.'

Being a remote employee is like being a second-class citizen. We're constantly an after-thought, even though we're the majority of people dealing with daily unpleasantness to do with guests and hosts dealing with occasionally traumatic events. We aren't trained in psychology or grief management, yet that's what we cope with, and all at an hourly salary that shows how little we're actually valued compared to lip service of how great we are.

Advice to Management

Please keep hiring adults. It's giving some of us much-needed hope. The sooner you realize that not all of us want to party hard with our colleagues, but do really care about the company, the mission, and being appropriately compensated for a job well done, the better. The fraternity culture really doesn't fit for a large segment of your ever-growing workforce. We have partners/children/a life outside of work. That's considered healthy.

Please don't ignore the messages and feedback you're getting from internal surveys. Many of us in our roles outside of HQ are demoralized, frustrated and feel abandoned. Just because it doesn't fit within your paradigm of everyone thinking Airbnb is a cool place to work doesn't mean that our experiences aren't valid. Ignore our feedback at the peril of the customer service team, which you need.

"Poor Pay, Poor Management, Poor Outlook"

I worked at Airbnb full-time

Pros

People, dogs, coffee, food, nice technology.

Cons

Management is young, naive and ignorant. Lateral hires happen more than interviews and merit hires. Everyone is young... Kids running an adult business.

Advice to Management

Fire half your staff and hire actual managers