KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great business in spite of itself

Feb 23, 2015 - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Tons of energy, very smart and friendly people, incredible food program. The founders are good guys, well-meaning, even if their lack of experience comes through (which it does frequently). For a Silicon Valley company, Airbnb is about as diverse as you'll find, which is a huge plus. Very mission driven, but often in a naively optimistic way.

Cons

No understanding of work-life balance - just zilch. This causes burnout and selects for the young, energetic, and naive. The company really needs wisdom and experience in leadership, particularly right now during this period of fast growth, but it's currently loaded with yes-men that won't say no to the founders. In fact no one says no to the founders, even when their ideas are laughable. Employees are highly expendable - like family one minute, being shown the door the next.

Continue reading
    33 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great!

Nov 30, 2021 - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super smart colleagues, cool mission, love the product. I work in data infra (where superset, airflow, etc was created) and am super happy.

Cons

Company needs to focus on it's product roadmap to grow into its valuation.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 4.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Was the Office the best part?

Nov 15, 2021 - Social Media Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pre-pandemic the office was absolutely my favorite part of working at this company. The onsite kitchens were beyond anything I've ever seen or heard of for an office, 3 meals a day, beer and kombucha on tap, fresh baked goods sent around on carts, gym on-site, amazing office meeting rooms, including a ball pit room and a bookable airstream, and just general wow-ness at the scale of their events, offsites, and sponsored outings.

Cons

Fortunately, I left before the pandemic, so I can't speak on what working remotely is like, but I do feel as though my team was not at all what I'd hoped for. I don't feel like anyone wished for my success, including my manager who would shutdown any opportunities I came across for growth in my role, and my team-mates that excluded me from team things, and seemed to view me as competition to be stomped rather than a team member to collaborate with. I knew it'd be an environment where you have to be a "go-getter" to "get" anywhere, but I really just don't have the personality type to fight for my career. Would prefer a lower stress, less competitive team or company. If it means anything, I am black and gay and my team members were all white and straight. I would hope that has nothing to do with the way I was regarded but who knows.

Be the first to find this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Airbnb.