Akamai - One of the best companies I have ever worked in | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

"One of the best companies I have ever worked in"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Intellectually challenging work in a very collaborative environment. Lots of non-trivial problems to be solved, and many opportunities to provide ideas for solving them. Due to its unique business and technology, the learning curve is very steep, but everybody I met was happy to help you learn.

If you want to work and think hard, and you want feel that you are contributing to a great team, then Akamai is one of the best places to be!

Cons

In 2+ years of working at Akamai I could not find even one "con"!

Advice to Management

Stay the course.

Other Employee Reviews for Akamai

"Weak leadership overall"

Former Employee - Account Services Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Former Employee - Account Services Manager in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Location, easy access to public transportation, near other high-tech companies like Google, Amazon, Microsoft and in the M.I.T. hub.

Cons

The management team just seems to rotate into different teams or BUs. Have you ever walked inside Akamai? Gray-haired staff all over the place, and they wonder why they struggle with innovation? The hiring process is a joke. If you know someone, you're in. LinkedIn had a great article about people who talk about the work they can do vs. doing the work --those are the ones who get hired. They just rely on that 20% to do the work while others don't pull their fair share of the weight. If you're in the good ol' boy's network you're golden. You're not promoted on merit, it's on favoritism and politics.

Advice to Management

Shape up. Open your eyes. Your talented staff is leaving or have one foot out the door. You can't innovate because when you hire new staff, they aren't coming from the right background to keep you competitive. You have a foothold in the internet space but when no-one is watching the finance budget of all the mediocre new hires and bloated salaries of management that can't take you to the next level, you will sink. I've been there through good and bad times and am now done. Change starts with leadership. Stop encouraging an environment of brown nosers and hold people at all levels accountable.

2. "Summer Internship"

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Cambridge, MA
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Cambridge, MA

I worked at Akamai as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

1- Small teams of 6-13 people
    2- A chance to work on projects that matter
    3- Weekly meetings to present and show progress
    4- People usually have time to answer questions and spend a considerable time to discuss and evaluate your thoughts
    5- Social Events

Cons

I don't think of any that are worth listing.