Akamai - Excellent company | Glassdoor

"Excellent company"

Current Employee - Senior Lead Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Senior Lead Software Engineer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company, great tech, great people. Global reach, and conservative business plan.

Cons

Shifting managerial vision at the top, terrible at acquiring other companies. Barebones fringe benefits. Terrible name recognition. Oftentimes too sales driven.

Advice to Management

Spend more in engineering. Every project is painfully under-resourced.

Other Employee Reviews for Akamai

"Very dissatisfying as an engineer. Set me back by a couple of years."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Akamai full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is decent'ish. People are nice to each other. Non-toxic work environment.

Cons

Luddites rule the roost at Akamai - the thinking(often times of architects and engineering leaders) is stuck in the 80's and 90's, stubborn and insular. Being one of the earliest movers in what we now think of as the "enterprise cloud"-space, they have let so many opportunities slip by and ceded ground(and are still doing so) to a plethora of "cloud" companies who did not have that advantage. There is no vision or technical leadership to even bridge this gap, let alone break out of this cycle of building and maintaining aging, fragile and inflexible technologies & infrastructure. A lot of time is spent on reinventing the wheel with little to no benefits. I can honestly say that my time at this company was the least productive and that it did not let me grow as an engineer - in fact I feel I regressed quite a bit, being stuck in a very dysfunctional engineering culture. Final observation: I have written and submitted college assignments with more rigor and quality than some of the code that gets shipped out to production at Akamai.

Advice to Management

Learn from what is going on outside of Akamai. Inculcate a culture of openness to accepting when you are wrong and of learning from and building upon good/successful ideas. Ditch your old ways of thinking ASAP.

"Awesome company, talented people, great benefits, unlimited timeoff (beat that!!)"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome company, talented people, great benefits, unlimited timeoff, flexible schedule

Cons

The Internal departments have limited opportunities of growth