Akamai - After a decade, I still love this company | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Akamai

"After a decade, I still love this company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people to work with and the job is very interesting.
You get a chance to change the world everyday by helping Akamai's customers with new project (almost every cool Internet service out there uses them like top social sites, all big news sites, media sites, etc).
Lots of internal chances to grow (if you are good).
Good health benefits, lots of funded culture clubs to choose from (like fishing, surfing, scuba diving, chess, coffee, biking, beer, etc.), free drinks and food (varies from office to office).
Over the years I got approached by most of Akamai's competitors and interviewed with some of them to see which benefits and salary they offer, and I am happy to say that none of them pays as well or offers comparable benefits.

Cons

Hard to think of cons... Well the Akamai provided coffee in San Mateo sucks (some people have brought their own espresso machines though). Other Akamai offices I visited have cool espresso machines, so I guess this is just in San Mateo.

Advice to Management

Keep innovating and ensure good people are happy as there is a lot of opportunities out there right now

Other Employee Reviews for Akamai

"It's nice"

Pros

good place to work. Engineering is full of great talent and great people.

Cons

Really not much here. ParaTechnical roles such as product architects may slow things down and do make bad decisions often.

"Excellent prospects for the future; flexible work-life balance"

Current Employee - Engineering in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Engineering in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Akamai full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company of innovation and pioneering. Stability. As long as the internet exists, so too will the need for Akamai's services. Excellent work-life benefits, unlimited vacation policy, ability to work from home. Having a technologist and the co-founder as the new CEO shows how important it is to have someone at the top who really understands the company.

Cons

As other reviews have pointed out, it's true that this is a political organization the further to the top you get. I actually don't think Tom Leighton is part of it, but certainly beneath him there's lots of politics going on. It takes a long time for change to happen. In certain departments the stress levels are brutal. In the Cambridge location, there's really not much "culture" i.e. colleagues getting together after work, drinks on Fridays, etc. That doesn't really happen on the East Coast the way it does at the West Coast offices. Wish that would become something that happened more often here with the support of upper management.

Advice to Management

Listen more to what people want, and help foster a culture of connectedness.