Aker Solutions - A company still trying to find its identity. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Aker Solutions

"A company still trying to find its identity."

Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Supervisor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A good number of subject matter experts.
Friendly colleagues.
Flexible work schedule (for some groups).
Very good health benefits.
Above-average salaries depending on the department.
In most cases, employees have the ability to switch departments if you want to be challenged in another area.

Cons

As the company headquarters is in Norway, they consistently try to "globalize" the other regions to follow procedures and standards that are more applicable to European regulations and clients. These initiatives are seemingly followed by our SVP and VPs without question...even though some of those initiatives have the potential to hurt our local business due to the difficulty of meeting our local clients' requirements. In addition to this, we do not have equal amounts of resources here in Houston to execute our projects in an efficient manner. Norway has plenty of people to put on projects, but here you will find people working on multiple projects and receive little or no additional support.

Most mid-level managers and supervisors at the company are very good and treat their team members fairly. However, there are a couple of micro-managers there who have groups that are engrossed in chaos. If you can manage to avoid working in these groups, it's not a bad place to work. The company has 6 core values that look good on paper, but it is apparent that only certain people (i.e. anyone below VP level) are actually held accountable to them, because some of the higher-ups operate in a manner that is contradictory to those values.

The company reorganizes a bit too often in my opinion. In the years that I have worked there, I've lost count of how many managers, VPs, and even CEO's I've had. It has been quite some time that we've had leadership whom we could really believe in.

Training (except for SAP training) is non-existent. It looks like they are trying to change this, but it will take some time for this to really be implemented, and that's if they follow through with it. This was tried a few years ago and was off to a good start until there was (surprise) another re-organization and the new regime dictated that there was no budget for training.

Advice to Management

Do a better job of supporting your local workforce. It is quite evident that the expertise of a few employees in Houston overshadow the experience level of several groups within the so-called Centres of Excellence. It gets quite old having every argument end with "this is a Norway initiative and it isn't up for discussion."

Other Employee Reviews for Aker Solutions

"Great Place to Work Back in the Day"

Former Employee - Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Paralegal and Risk Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started with the company when it was John Brown.

Cons

Too many acquisitions in a short period of time.

Advice to Management

Difficult to advice as there have been so many changes on company ownership.

"Changing times"

Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Procurement Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Aker Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Workers are very helpfull & cooperative with each other.

Cons

Too many management changes. Positions filled with not with proper qualifications.

Advice to Management

Top heavy management in some postions not filled with qualified personnel.