Akin Gump - Good place to work | Glassdoor

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Attorney, 8th-Year in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good work environment, good bonuses, flexibility in determining your own schedule. There are lots of opportunities to do pro bono work and all pro bono hours count just like billable hours.

Cons

Work can come at any time, twenty four hours a day, seven days per week. Chances of making partner are small, and there is little transparency on partnership admissions.

Advice to Management

The more communication with the associates, the better. The new focus on evaluations is good, but they need to make sure that the evaluators use the same standards.

Other Employee Reviews for Akin Gump

1. "Great intro to the law ... and Biglaw"

Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Associate in Washington, DC

Pros

The work is very high-level, and the mentoring by other attorneys (associates and partners) is top-notch. The salaries and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Like most BigLaw, the downsides are the billable hours requirements and the uncertainty about the prospects for partnership after 7-10 years. .

Advice to Management

The firm has an inverted pyramid. It might be time to take a hard look at the partners who might not be contributing fully.

2. "Akin Gump Rocks!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Washington, DC

Pros

Work/Life Balance. Always willing to give me my earned time off for my child.

Cons

The recent turnover of a lot of partners. We haven't quite recovered. There seems to be so many empty offices and we will really need to fill them.

Advice to Management

We know the economy is in turmoil and layoffs are inevitable, but what is the real criteria? Performance reviews, longevity, etc. I personally think that the summer associate program needs to be really trimmed back. Way too much money is spent on this program. I know we have to compete with other firms, but in this economy I think it is possible to cut the program.