Alameda County Social Services - Social Services | Glassdoor

"Social Services"

Pros

Flexible career advancement. Support of Education and Family. Excellent benefits which are free Retirement benefits are great. Pretty good salary.

Cons

Advancement is not based on merit but upon who you know. Having a degree isn't valued as it should be. Lack of respect given to customers by workers who feel they are entitled. Workers do not feel supported by management

Advice to Management

Look at overall training process. If you want to make a change change your personel choices. Give kudos and incentives to good workers.

Other Employee Reviews for Alameda County Social Services

1. "Human Resource Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource Manager in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Alameda County Social Services full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great staff, work schedule and environment.

Cons

limited funding and contract based.

Advice to Management

Be a role model to others; guide by action and not just words.

2. "Eligibility Service Technician"

Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Eligibility Service Tech in Oakland, CA

Pros

Great retirement benefits. Perfect for lazy people once you get tenure.

Cons

Micro management. I understand the reason for micro management is because there are tons of lazy people with tenure who do nothing but watching youtube videos at work. For those who do not have tenure, that's not fair. For example, I needed to send an email to my supervisor when I stepped away to bathroom.

For those who have a college degree, they usually take this job as a stepping stone to other departments.

Don't expect supervisors can help when you have questions. A lot of supervisors were behind with policies and technology. Because of that, some supervisors always have the doors closed or tell you they are busy on something else.

Last Christmas, there were a few people who failed the training class and were asked to leave. The trainer had the sheriff to escort those who failed the test to walk out. That was happened on the day before Christmas. Very cruel.

If you want to apply for EST, I would recommend you to go to San Pablo Ave County office during break time (around 10 or 10:15am). You will see what EST looks like, then you will have an idea what kinds of people you will work with. When I first arrived at County, I saw a worker wearing a skirt and sitting in the garden with the legs wide opened to smoke during break time.

Advice to Management

Outsourced some of the work to private companies such as the call center. When I was in college, I worked in a call center for a bank. They gave out incentives for each call you picked up. This encouraged people taking calls and reduced abandoned call rates.