Alarm.com - Great place to work! | Glassdoor
Pros
  • "Work/Life balance is there, but you have to take ownership of it" (in 11 reviews)

• "Everyone is very intelligent and supportive, which provides for a great work environment" (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • "Growing pains transitioning from a small company to a more mature one" (in 9 reviews)

• "The pace can be very fast, but the establishment of work life balance is really controlled by you" (in 4 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Great work space and management really cares about their employees. It is a larger company that still has a start up feel. There's also a lot of growth and exposure to what you want to do. Everyone that works there is a smart and down to earth which makes it that much more enjoyable.

Cons

Traffic in the Tyson's area makes it harder to get to work

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

"INCREDIBLY HIGH TURNOVER"

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time

Pros

Very creative office space with lots of seating.

Cons

It's discouraging to see so many employees leave. Two executives have left in the last week. All of the really good friends that I made when I first started have left. I started and went through training with a large group of new employees, within 3 years 98% of them had left.

The quality of the incoming employees is nowhere near the level of the outgoing employees. Recruiting is desperate to fill new positions and back-fill old positions, the selection process has gone down hill drastically. The new recruiting director who had been at the company for less than a year just left, so I don't see this getting addressed anytime soon.

The constant turnover has eroded the culture that I loved so much when I started . I used to know everyone in the office and introduce myself to new employees, but now I hardly recognize anyone at the company gatherings. There's almost no point introducing yourself to new employees as most of them leave within 6 months - 1 year. The monthly roll-offs (hot dog lunches) are now pretty lack luster with a few bags of chips and cold hot dogs, this was a core part of the culture but is now just blah. The office common areas are always trashed since the new employees never had to work at the old buildings they don't understand how great this one is and the need to keep it up. Balls are constantly dropped, emails frequently go unanswered, many employees are now remote and work sporadic hours so it's very hard to keep projects moving forward. In general there's a "whatever" mentality versus the old days when it was all hands on deck and everyone gave their all.

There was a time when I couldn't imagine leaving Alarm.com, but the constant turnover, culture shift and lack of effort have caused me to start looking for new jobs.

Advice to Management

Address the fact that so many people are leaving. Constant turnover makes our jobs harder as we get more work put on us and the added stress of hiring and training for a position that we just filled in the last 6 months - 1 year. Acknowledge this problem, try to do something about it. We all notice it, struggle with it and are worried about it but there is no mention of it from our leaders which adds to the dissatisfaction.

"Nice benefits, frustrating environment"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Centennial, CO
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Centennial, CO

I have been working at Alarm.com full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Nice benefits (aside from pay), comfortable office
    * Ability to work with a variety of technologies that improve customers' lives.

Cons

* Us vs them mentality between software teams. You will often hear comments putting down the manager and engineers of X, Y, or Z team, their code, and their products, especially on shared projects.
    * "Not my problem" culture where people often race to do the minimum amount of work possible and avoid taking ownership of the projects they are staffed on. This also shows up around the office as people regularly fail to clean up after themselves in common areas.
    * Terrible planning and project management. Lots of product specifications are poorly thought out and often incomplete before they are handed over to software engineers. Projects are often overzealous in scope and timeline.
    * There are often only 2-4 UX people employed at a time (when there are significantly more software engineers) and there is a high turn over rate. This means that projects push forward without a clear, thought out design, resulting in frustrating UI as project managers take on the work instead despite their lack of training in UX or experience.
    * As a Software Engineer your responsibility and workload varies greatly depending on which team you are on.
    * No clear path for advancement. Becoming as Senior Engineer on one team may have arbitrarily higher or lower requirements than another team as it is up to each manager's discretion.
    * Pay is not really competitive with other companies in the area.

Discover more reviews about Alarm.com.