Alcoa - Went OK, than QA issue hit our plant and "blew" all up... | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alcoa

"Went OK, than QA issue hit our plant and "blew" all up..."

Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Bethlehem, PA
Former Employee - Sales Operations Manager in Bethlehem, PA

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall big but decent co. I was at a small site of Alcoa's. Good Company, wanted to work at Corp in Pittsburgh, but never got chance. Was downsized after QA Disclosure that lead to mass customer exodus from our small mfg site. Alcoa ended up selling of that small plant later.

Cons

As with most Dow Jones Ind Avg listed Blue Chip Corps: Alcoa is very large bureaucratic org. In 2006 Alcoa wanted suppliers to accept Net 100 day terms, But customers needed to pay net 30. Safety, Safety and more EHS

Other Employee Reviews for Alcoa

"Giant corporate machine"

Former Employee - Engineer in Paterson, NJ
    Former Employee - Engineer in Paterson, NJ

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits were exceptional, and the compensation was fair. Depending on which specific plant or division you worked in your experience with that plants management could vary wildly.

Cons

Individual success was not cultivated or well recognized. Annual bonus's (very meager for most, mine was UP TO %5 salary), were usually applied on a group basis and did not even feel merit based.

Advice to Management

Every plant is different. Mine had bad managers that needed to improve their processes to include accountability and reward success. Others I visited/worked at I couldn't comment on.

"Would not recommend"

Former Employee - Engineer in LaPorte, IN
    Former Employee - Engineer in LaPorte, IN

I worked at Alcoa full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is nothing positive to share about the LaPorte IN facility

Cons

Worked at the La Porte location for quite a few years. It used to be a good place to work, not any longer. I watched it go from good to very bad. I can only feel sorry for the employees still there. Jobs are hard to find these days so they don't have much of a choice. Terrible upper management. HR does not care about or help anyone "don't let the door..." Managers only care about numbers and nothing else. They are cruel to the employees, supervisors and engineers; in other words they treat them awful, intimidation, retaliation, belittling, chauvinism etc., It's sad to have worked at and watched such a great company with such happy employees turn into such an awful place. Another company that brings in new management that tears the heart and soul out of the employees.