Alere - Low pay for credentials, stressful work environment, lack luster management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alere

"Low pay for credentials, stressful work environment, lack luster management"

Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Seattle, WA
Current Employee - Registered Dietitian in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alere full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Being able to work from home is nice; and partially tax deductible. If you like waking up early or going out late you will like this company. You're typically busy so you're not often bored. Medication benefits are good.

Cons

If you're an R.D. don't expect to have any wiggle room for clinical judgment. In this job you must "counsel" and complete calls in a very specific manner regardless of disease state, emotional state, etc...In my opinion this leads to a very low quality of care for the participants. You could be doing so much more with your degree anywhere else, believe me. Shifts start very early or end very late. Expect to work weekends consistently at least for the first year of your job here. Little to no support from management due to lack of education on what we typically do as R.D.'s. You will be extremely busy. Unlike the rest of our profession you will be evaluated every 2 weeks so make sure you're on top of your counseling game; if you have one off day or off participant it will show, you will be judged, and your evaluations will likely not improve as expected from that point on. No room for growth within the company as an R.D., you will always be paid hourly. No reimbursement for credentials or CEU's. Be aware that the rest of the company outside of service delivery or your team will have no idea what you do and why you are with the company. Our side of company is rarely recognized because the company's real "money maker" is tobacco cessation. Expect to always fall short of projected goals in our department; not to your own doing, but the goals set by the company are far too high to ever be achieved. You will rarely get a bonus due to this.

Advice to Management

Provide realistic opportunities for R.D.'s as far as career advancement and reimburse for the credentials and continuing education credits that are "selling" your product/service and providing you with stability to your programs.

Other Employee Reviews for Alere

"Very Poor/Negative/Critical Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Alere full-time

Pros

Great counselors/coworkers who try so hard to succeed and endeavor to match the ever changing, difficult call metrics the company forces upon them.

Cons

Counselors are micromanaged and nit-picked with a high level of abstract, confusing criticism. There is a high turn over of staff and this is a very stressful place to work overall. Lots of good workers get fired for things which make no sense. American Cancer Society use to have this Quit Smoking program before they transferred it to Alere and I suspect their negative management style has never actually left the place! ACS may still be the brains behind it which would explain alot.

Advice to Management

This heavy handed pushy mgmt style has proven itself to be demoralizing to their employees and yet it never changes. The only reason they keep it is because there are so many young naiive people needing jobs, they can do whatever they want. *Beware*

2. "My experience at Alere has been limited but pretty laid back."

Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - QA Analyst in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Alere full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is average. The culture is pretty laid back.

Cons

Benefits aren't that good. Don't encourage growth.