Alice & Olivia - Beautiful offices, but disorganized operations and poor management | Glassdoor

"Beautiful offices, but disorganized operations and poor management"

I worked at Alice & Olivia full-time for less than a year

Pros

-New-feeling, beautiful offices with great views, kitchens, tech, and supplies -Good discount -Extravagant office-wide birthday parties are great for morale

Cons

-Frequent, very long hours (12 - 14hr days are not uncommon) -No training program for new employees -Certain teams have management that is hostile, and employees are berated publicly -Open floorplan/no cubicles results in limited workspace and no privacy -Infrastrcture/operations have not caught up with growth, resulting in obstacles that interfere with efficiently meeting crucial deadlines

Advice to Management

New employee training is a must. Good work/life balance should be achievable at all levels (even if increasing head-count is required). Managers should be trained on hostile work environments, and on how to be positive, non-volatile leaders.

Alice & Olivia2013-05-27

"I’ve found my lifelong career with a+o"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Alice & Olivia full-time for more than a year

Pros

I’ve worked in retail my entire working life, but I never imagined I could find a place where I would be inspired, motivated, and challenged every single day, until I came across alice + olivia. I’ve done everything from the big department stores to the tiny local boutiques to other high-end brand names, and a+o has the most incredible working environment I’ve ever seen. On a store level, teamwork is key and you’re surrounded by people who constantly challenge you in a motivational way to improve yourself and your business. On a corporate level, executives are compassionate and empathetic. They’re accessible and encouraging, and to the absolute top, I know I could reach out to anyone and receive a warm response. No one is “too good” to help someone else, and no one’s opinion is “too small” to take into account. Internal growth is also heavily encouraged and supported, and you will never be handed a job or a task and set up for failure. Your superiors will ensure that you’re juggling your responsibilities successfully before throwing in another ball. Our selling culture is one of our many incredible assets, but our greatest asset is our people. This company has found the best of the best in the retail world, and it’s nothing short of magical to work with people like that every day.

Cons

No job is perfect. There will always be tough days, especially in a customer-facing industry like retail. That being said, at a+o, those tough days are a rarity, and I am confident in the people I work with to remind me of all the good days that make it worth it.

Alice & Olivia2020-01-10
  2. "communication"

Former Employee - Manager in Tampa, FL

I worked at Alice & Olivia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great uniform/clothing perks and incentives

Cons

Imposible to take time off. Also company says one thing and does another or doesn’t do anything at all. Very gossipy and unprofessional

Alice & Olivia2020-01-27

Discover more reviews about Alice & Olivia.