Alion - Easy going but no real chance for advancement | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alion

"Easy going but no real chance for advancement"

Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Marine Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management is pretty flexible with hours with respect to work load. They don't really micromanage. Good benefits and continuing education assistance. Government work is pretty flexible so the work load is never overwhelming.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. When someone gets to the point that they would be up for a raise, they will not give it or they will make a simply insulting offer. This has caused 3 of my fellow engineers to leave for other positions. Then they interviewed and hired engineers straight out of college who they could pay less.

Advice to Management

Keep the employees that you have and show more loyalty and appreciation of what they do.

Other Employee Reviews for Alion

"Working for Alion was a terrible experience."

Former Employee - Military Analyst in Shaw AFB, SC
    Former Employee - Military Analyst in Shaw AFB, SC

I worked at Alion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a job. The pay was ok.

Cons

HR does not care about you. Discrimination and harassment are rampant, as are illegal and unethical behaviors. When I brought up some of these issues up with senior management and HR, I was met with a warning and told to never complain again "or else". Management would sit around all day and balance their checkbooks and watch TV, with no idea what the worker bees did. Most of them did not have actual government jobs. They had job titles, but no responsibilites. I often worked over 130 hours in an 80 hour pay period, and was never compensated for it. Sometimes, I was even asked to lie about the time on my timecard, to supposedly not charge too much and hurt future contract negotiations. There was no potential for career or salary growth, unless you want to move into management. I will not be surprised if I see Alion get in serious trouble for illegal behavior and ethics violations. Work hours were not flexible. My customer said I could take leave for a day or two after putting in 115 hours in one week, but Alion management would not allow it - without basis. They were inflexible with taking leave for vacation or for doctor's appointments. They seemed to think that you are scamming them. We did not get much leave to begin with...only 10 days leave per year - that includes both sick leave and annual leave.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be completely re-vamped with how dysfunctional it is at this point. Management does not value its employees, nor shows interest in satisfying the needs of the customer that is footing the bill.

"Could be great but management in the way"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

flexible schedule, good benefits, employee recoginition

Cons

long hours, lack of defined career path,, leadership not present.

Advice to Management

measure what matters and nothing else and pay for performance.