Alion - Room for improvement | Glassdoor

"Room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Alion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Health insurance is the best I have had in a long time.

Cons

When interviewed and first hired you get the feeling the company cares about you and your growth potential. You are also told you are able to work from home when necessary. After being with the company for 8 months I am seeing the real Alion. My supervisor sets out standards for us to follow, yet does not follow them himself. He and other supervisors seem more concerned with money being spent rather than the quality of work being done for the customer.

There is little room for upward growth within my business unit and I suspect the majority of the company. In my short time with the company seven people have let my group. That is a high attrition rate and it doesn't seem to surprise anyone or cause concern with upper management.

PTO is less than other companies in this industry. You leave is combined into one leave bank vice sick and vacation. If you are a single parent, it is easy to burn through your leave with illness and doctor's appointments.

Advice to Management

It would be nice to have a voice in the company as an employee owner.

Other Employee Reviews for Alion

"Alion continues slide to abyss while enriching executives"

I worked at Alion full-time

Pros

At Alion I worked with great people on great projects for great customers. Good flexibility and benefits and overall great local working environment.

Cons

Alion management is killing the company and enriching themselves at employee expense. Case in point is the most recent FY13 10Q report issued 5/14/13, which contains the following statement: "We believe the Company will be unable to generate sufficient cash flow from operations to retire its debt as it comes due. We can offer no assurance that Alion will be able to obtain new financing at sufficient levels and on acceptable terms, if at all." Yet, while the stock dropped another 10% since March 2012, upper management long term incentive bonuses for the 1st 6 months of FY13 increased 68% to $1.5M vs $890K for the same time period in FY12. This bonus amount exceeded the $1M worth of stock purchased by employees, which means their hard earned cash went right into the pocket of the upper management. So, not enough cash flow to pay off the debt, but plenty of money to pay upper executive bonuses using employee contributions while the stock value continues to decrease along with employee wealth. Also, the May 2013 S&P assessment ranks Alion corporate debt as CCC, which makes junk bonds look good. Alion is not long for this earth, so I strongly suggest current employees stop buying company stock until management develops a plan to turn the stock price around.

"Another government contractor"

Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Alexandria, VA

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Strong market position in some areas but at a competitive disadvantage in others.

Cons

Short term focus. lack of long term goals. Limited resources to solve problems.

Advice to Management

Management should be top down and not hands off.