Alion - It is a good company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alion

"It is a good company to work for."

Current Employee - Data Specialist in Pascagoula, MS
Current Employee - Data Specialist in Pascagoula, MS

I have been working at Alion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It is a family orientated company

Cons

Some of the management is not people persons

Other Employee Reviews for Alion

"When Alion purchased Anteon, staff lost great leadership"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA

I worked at Alion full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I wish I had any pros to list however other than average benefits and pay; there is nothing positive to comment.

Cons

When Alion purchased Anteon, the caring nature of management went right out the window. Anteon used to work diligently to ensure staff on contracts ending had new positions or at leads and created a wonderful environment to work in. However, when Alion came in, management could care less about the staff, changed infrastructure to a less sensible structure and cleaned house of many staff. People who had been with Anteon for 10+ years left in masses due to this and I was glad when I did. The environment turned from a place I enjoyed working (total of 8 years) to somewhere I was miserable in.

Advice to Management

Learn to care about your staff as people, not just a number. In addition, stop acquiring companies when you are unable and ineffective as merging successfully.

"Good coworkers and work experience, poor management"

Pros

My location had great coworkers, and the work was interesting. Had the chance to expand my technical capabilities. Benefits were decent. Salary and raises were good.

Cons

- Poor financial condition. Hasn't reported a profit since 2002. Average loss of $28M from 2003 to date. Large acquisitions that didn't pan out have led to high debt with high interest rates. May not be able to refinance bonds that are coming due.
    - Upper management receives large bonuses despite poor performance.
    - All 401k matching is in company stock. The stock was at a high of $43 in March 07, and just dropped from $16 in March 2013 to $8 in Sept 2013. Company matching can't be accessed until 5 years after leaving the company, at which time it can be withdrawn over the following 5 years.
    - Benefits are being reduced.
    - Poor communication of the company's condition and plan to try to recover.

Advice to Management

Focus on growing organically and not the size of the company. Analyze why certain acquisitions didn't work out (e.g., Anteon). Realize that workers can't simply be replaced - many customers are awarding tasks to individuals, not the company name. Don't just file the exit interviews, actually read what the people are saying. Communicate what is going on. People are aware of the financial problems, but no one seems to address them.