All Star Directories, Inc. - Early Good Years | Glassdoor

"Early Good Years"

Pros

Start up culture with good people

Cons

Painful replatforming of tech stack

Advice to Management

Build an extensible technology platform to drive innovation with school customers and consumers

Other Employee Reviews for All Star Directories, Inc.

1. "Used to be great"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Enjoyed the people I worked with

Cons

Upper management laid off people that were vital staff.

"Neither Shangri La nor Fury Road"

I have been working at All Star Directories, Inc. full-time

Pros

All-Star is a real place where people are generally nice to each other and well-intentioned, but we are normal folks. Sometimes we disagree, but we try not to be jerks about it. In a recent all-hands meeting, I was encouraged to see some natural disagreement between two of the senior staff - both had thought through the same issue from different angles.

The 2017 goals came out the end of February, presenting a much more compelling vision than in previous years. The new internal product has promise and feels like the right long-term direction. It is still unclear how, if at all, the rest of us can contribute to its success.

There are a lot of negative reviews from ex-employees. Several have valid, well-articulated points that I wish were raised when they were still here. In recent company meetings, there is broader dialogue. I enjoy seeing people engaged and presenting different viewpoints.

As a small company, there are resource constraints. You may need to work outside of your comfort zone. Hours are flexible. People have lives, families (five babies on the way), and pursue interesting hobbies.

Location is great and centrally accessible to public transportation and a dozen proprietors of espresso. Yeah, there's a fridge with soda. And a bowl. With fruit.

The Mandatory Fun Committee took feedback to heart, and is now mixing in events that are not focused on after-hours drinking or full-contact sports. For example, we've recently toured the Theo chocolate factory and Seattle Underground. Both were things I'd secretly wanted to do, but could never convince my partner to be a tourist.

Cons

Despite the small size of the company, there are occasions when information isn't communicated well. For example, one of our vendors suffered a setback, notifying someone on the senior management team. A few days later (the next business day), another team noticed metrics were way down and had a fire drill trying to understand why. They alerted the folks who already knew about it but didn't think to communicate the information.

There are some mind-numbing, labour-intensive processes that should be automated, if only to free people up to do more meaningful work. We also have a couple of systems in need of maintenance. Unfortunately, the group complaining declines to prioritize fixing it.

The open floor plan can be distracting.

Advice to Management

The effort at more transparency and communication is appreciated. I encourage you to involve people from outside the senior management team more often: we are here to help, we want to help.