Cover image for Alley Cat Allies

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

If it looks like a duck & quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

Mar 1, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

* Salary levels * Constantly being around cats * Bethesda is a nice neighborhood

Cons

Working here is a huge bait and switch. You're offered the job and can't believe you've landed such an amazing, perfect opportunity! On my first day, my supervisor told me "Working here is like being married to an abusive spouse. You know you should leave but can't because of the money." Huh. It didn't take long to fully realize exactly what she meant. Becky Robinson is truly a pioneer in the TNR field. But these days she's an afterthought. All the big names in animal rescue leave her out of their planning & events. Why? She simply can't play nice with others and is batguano crazy. Then, she sealed her fate by hiring Charlene Pedrolie to basically take over the entire operation. Charlene is controlling and heartless. She is intimidated by strong women & will take you down whatever way she's able. Napoleon complex times a thousand. Between Becky's erratic behavior & Charlene's over the top need to control everything, the work environment is extremely toxic. You can't trust anyone because employees are forced to turn against each other. At first you think it'll never happen to you. And then, boom, you're fired for some made-up reason and sobbing in the fetal position for months. I doubt the PTSD will ever dissipate. And I'm far from alone! The hiring cannot keep up with the firings & resignations. I don't know why Becky would allow a woman who doesn't even like animals (google her past position at the NY ACC) to take *complete* control of her almost 30 year old organization. Perhaps Charlene has something on Becky? During her tenure, the organization has gone completely downhill. Raising money is the #1 focus and with each $5 check from a cat-loving senior citizen is another lawsuit from aggrieved employees or vendors (See Putsche v. ACA). Or, another trip for Becky to far away lands like Hawaii or Australia. She often has a videographer accompany her to capture heart-tugging moments in order to raise more money. And repeat. I honestly don't know how they can both sleep at night. In addition, how ACA maintains a high non-profit rating is another mystery begging to be solved. Read the Charity Watch article "Cat Charity Criticized for Straying from Good Governance Practices" & The Chronicle of Philanthropy article "The Limits of Nonprofit Oversight". The bottom line is: if you're considering a position at Alley Cat Allies, then you also need to recognize the inherent risk. For years, I watched other people berated, treated like trash, and then summarily tossed aside. I thought it would never happen to me, until it did. And my life will never be the same. That isn't drama, it's just the awful truth.

Continue reading
    39 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mission focused, great team, huge impact in movement

Jan 20, 2017 - Program Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love working here, we are very focused on having huge impact to stop killing of cats. For such a small team, we have had tremendous across the country in saving cats and changing laws. I am so proud of our work and my team members. I now think of them as some of my best friends. I love the dedication and passion of the executive team. They work late nights and almost every weekend.

Cons

its hard when we cant save every cat, although we try. The metro commute has been bad because of the metro work. -

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Non profit animal advocacy organization

Nov 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Headquarters is located in downtown Bethesda MD

Cons

Small non profit with less than 13 employees

3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Alley Cat Allies.

Alley Cat Allies Job Seekers Also Viewed