Cover image for Alley Cat Allies

Add a Review

Employee Review

1. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Atrocious workplace culture, inept leadership

Feb 23, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cats in the office. Company pays 100% of health insurance premium. Free donuts on Friday. Intelligent, compassionate coworkers at middle-management levels and below.

Cons

Organizational leadership and workplace culture are actively harmful to productivity and morale, borderline abusive. Morale across the company is low, and the organization suffers from constant employee turnover. The president and the COO are ineffective leaders with poor people and leadership skills. Their condescension, verbal abuse and aggression toward employees creates a toxic work environment. Alley Cat Allies is a case study in micromanagement. The president oversees every project, mandating her personal approval on everything. This is an enormous drag on productivity, and projects pile up on each other and are approved long after their deadline. Most employees are extremely competent and effective in their field, and are successful in spite of upper management, not because of it. Projects are often forgotten. Successes are exaggerated or minor, given the stated national scope of the organization. Upward mobility is almost nonexistent, and salaries only increase in an attempt to stop turnover. Employees have to pay for parking in downtown Bethesda themselves, which is very expensive; you can shave about $7 per day off your daily take-home pay before you even walk through the door. Any food that is not vegan or vegetarian is prohibited in the office, which is not a problem if you're vegetarian but is frustrating if you're not.

Continue reading
    32 people found this review helpful

Other Employee Reviews

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Mission focused, great team, huge impact in movement

Jan 20, 2017 - Program Manager in Bethesda, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Love working here, we are very focused on having huge impact to stop killing of cats. For such a small team, we have had tremendous across the country in saving cats and changing laws. I am so proud of our work and my team members. I now think of them as some of my best friends. I love the dedication and passion of the executive team. They work late nights and almost every weekend.

Cons

its hard when we cant save every cat, although we try. The metro commute has been bad because of the metro work. -

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Non profit animal advocacy organization

Nov 16, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Headquarters is located in downtown Bethesda MD

Cons

Small non profit with less than 13 employees

3 people found this review helpful

Discover more reviews about Alley Cat Allies.

Alley Cat Allies Job Seekers Also Viewed