Alliant International University - interesting, challenging, developmental work-- and I like what I do. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Alliant International University

"interesting, challenging, developmental work-- and I like what I do."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alliant International University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flexibility and career building opportunity, great students, love the work

Cons

employees have their separate lives--little cohesiveness among the employees. top mgmt has made tough calls and done some good things, but are still not respected because their views seem so conservative and they are several years behind the curve in adapting to competitors

Advice to Management

even the state schools have become more marketing oriented and have more flexible course offerings than alliant! wake up! the board must be sleeping and needs a shake up. the "distinguished professors" block needs to be told to get out of the way and we have to push the limits of APA ideal guidelines more, like the chicago school, if we want to compete. to the extent that APA praises everything about our programs, we know we are being too goody two shoes. we are too big and significant in the field to fail, but we are not using our power. come on Goeff, think like an investment banker and not a philosopher

Other Employee Reviews for Alliant International University

"Progressive but clueless"

Current Employee - Marketing/Admissions in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing/Admissions in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There are wonderful folks at Alliant, especially among the faculty. They are an amazing collection of humane and progressive people. The benefits are excellent, and you won't feel embarrassed if you come and go at reasonable work hours - no one is in the office over the weekend. The San Francisco office is in a nicely remodeled space and pleasant as non-profits go.

Cons

If you are expecting to be rewarded for performance, forget it. There's no strategic planning process and the place is run like a monarchy. There's no accountability at the top level, and no VP or dean is ever punished for overspending or underachieving. Although Alliant calls itself a professional practice university, there's no professional respect for staff or practitioners - staff are definitely second-class citizens. Faculty, or at least core faculty, do get some respect, but salaries are low. High achieving staff are "rewarded" with ever-expanding work loads and burn out is high. There's no professional development and no promotional path.

Advice to Management

Take your own management courses! How can a place that offers a doctorate in strategic planning have no strategic planning process and no accountability tied to numbers? Believe in your own product! How can a place devoted to education provide NO professional development to staff? Follow your own professed values! How can a place that prepares people for "professional practice" be believed if professional staff are offered no professional development.

"Worst place I've ever worked at in my life."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Pros

Benefits are decent compared to other private universities.

Cons

So full of politics. Fear rules this place. All the back stabbing that goes around here will make Brutus like pretty good. People talk alot here and don't get anything done. It feels like everyone is just doing enough and waiting for the next chip to fall or waiting to find another job. Lack of respect leads to low moral which leads very disappointed employees.

Advice to Management

Some of the most backwards people of all time to run an organization with no real knowledge of running things. Ideas that come across have no substance, and most of them don't know what they are doing and what is really going on. It's so sad to see. Everyone thinks they know it all!!! In meetings it's a bunch of group think. If you dare to speak different or give a contrast opinion you will be disregarded. Over spending on useless trips across the world for recruitment, and other activities has damaged the school as well. Executives and board members doesn't know what is happening at the fundamental level, and every decision is always based on money for short term profit, it sounds like a for profit school! In the end, all their decisions to do things based on money backfires and puts in the school in dire situations they never thought about. Too much group think and no communication or practicality from a school that preaches practicality!