Alliant International University - Great Learning Opportunity! | Glassdoor

"Great Learning Opportunity!"

Former Employee - Department Student Assistant in Fresno, CA
Former Employee - Department Student Assistant in Fresno, CA

I worked at Alliant International University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to collaborate with peers, professionals and staff. Developed professional skills on organizational development.

Cons

Limitations included: lack of funding, lack of professional internship, residency with professional organizations, and/or employment placement.

Advice to Management

Constant assessment of opportunities for Student Assistant internship, employment placement and/or residency is essential for this organization's development. Resource development and ongoing collaboration would benefit the community of Organizational Psychologists and Practitioners. Just open the doors to opportunity and allow the university to grow in leaps & bounds!

Other Employee Reviews for Alliant International University

"interesting, challenging, developmental work-- and I like what I do."

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Alliant International University full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

flexibility and career building opportunity, great students, love the work

Cons

employees have their separate lives--little cohesiveness among the employees. top mgmt has made tough calls and done some good things, but are still not respected because their views seem so conservative and they are several years behind the curve in adapting to competitors

Advice to Management

even the state schools have become more marketing oriented and have more flexible course offerings than alliant! wake up! the board must be sleeping and needs a shake up. the "distinguished professors" block needs to be told to get out of the way and we have to push the limits of APA ideal guidelines more, like the chicago school, if we want to compete. to the extent that APA praises everything about our programs, we know we are being too goody two shoes. we are too big and significant in the field to fail, but we are not using our power. come on Goeff, think like an investment banker and not a philosopher

"Progressive but clueless"

Current Employee - Marketing/Admissions in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing/Admissions in San Francisco, CA

Pros

There are wonderful folks at Alliant, especially among the faculty. They are an amazing collection of humane and progressive people. The benefits are excellent, and you won't feel embarrassed if you come and go at reasonable work hours - no one is in the office over the weekend. The San Francisco office is in a nicely remodeled space and pleasant as non-profits go.

Cons

If you are expecting to be rewarded for performance, forget it. There's no strategic planning process and the place is run like a monarchy. There's no accountability at the top level, and no VP or dean is ever punished for overspending or underachieving. Although Alliant calls itself a professional practice university, there's no professional respect for staff or practitioners - staff are definitely second-class citizens. Faculty, or at least core faculty, do get some respect, but salaries are low. High achieving staff are "rewarded" with ever-expanding work loads and burn out is high. There's no professional development and no promotional path.

Advice to Management

Take your own management courses! How can a place that offers a doctorate in strategic planning have no strategic planning process and no accountability tied to numbers? Believe in your own product! How can a place devoted to education provide NO professional development to staff? Follow your own professed values! How can a place that prepares people for "professional practice" be believed if professional staff are offered no professional development.