Allianz Life - A Pretty Mixed Bag At Best | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allianz Life

"A Pretty Mixed Bag At Best"

Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Location
Good Pay
Fun Summer Activities
Nice Cafeteria and Food Options
Fun Overall Atmosphere
Very Thorough Orientation
Some Opportunity for Personal Growth

Cons

Anyone who wants to be an actuarial intern here should be prepared for an unreasonably intense, political battle royale for a full-time offer. Many managers here have high egos and can't resist talking about how much better they are at Allianz than their competitors. One of the hiring managers is really awkward and you'll know who I'm talking about when you meet him. Some of the managers act as though they don't want to be dealing with an intern. Good luck getting an offer if you have a manager like that. As for the actual work itself, basically you are an overpaid computer programmer not really doing anything actuarial or learning anything other than automation in VBA, so have fun describing your "actuarial" experience in your interviews with other companies when you don't get an offer here because you didn't play their politics and actually wanted to get work done and develop yourself instead.

Advice to Management

Ditch the hostile, overly competitive atmosphere, and instead create one that promotes learning and growth. Ensure that the managers have good social skills because if they don't have them, they shouldn't manage anybody. Make sure the actuarial interns do more actuarial work than technical work. Also, I think that upper management does a great job, it's the actuarial managers that contributed to the weaknesses of my experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Allianz Life

"Marketing Analyst"

Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Allianz Life full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits. Great personal/professional development. Free parking. 40% off of food. Fantastic 401(k) benefit

Cons

Current management structure is a constant change. Employees feel unstable. Managers give unclear direction and have no plan to set their employees for success.

Advice to Management

Nothing. I'm not sure it'll be helpful anyway.

2. "Overall good environment, but so-so experience"

Former Intern - Actuarial Intern in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Allianz Life as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Well-structured intern program with ample experience to learn and interact with full-time coworkers.

Cons

Time contraints with my manager resulted in a lack of direction at many times (but I think this was not typical of other intern experiences).

Advice to Management

Make sure all of the interns get regular direction and contact with managers.