Allied Wire & Cable - Management is a minus at this company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allied Wire & Cable

"Management is a minus at this company."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Collegeville, PA

Pros

A great place to come in at entry-level, gain some experience, and use as a stepping stone to a better opportunity. Best for independent thinkers who can self-motivate and figure out how to side-step restrictive policies. Company supports a lot of perks for salesmen to offer customers to incentivize buying: sports tickets, gift cards, etc.

Cons

Management is stuck in the 1950s in terms of political correctness. Expect to be offended if you are not a white straight male. Sales management prefers intimidation to motivation. Sales goals and achievement tiers are changed at a moment's notice, no recourse. Salesman commissions are split with the house at every opportunity.

Advice to Management

It would benefit this organization to invest in professional management training as well as cultural sensitivity training for it's management staff in all departments, and owners.

Other Employee Reviews for Allied Wire & Cable

1. "It's a great start"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate

I worked at Allied Wire & Cable full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you do your job and are good at it they will take notice. I had a great experience working in the warehouse of their Wisconsin branch. I was only there for about 8 Months, but I learned a lot about them and the industry. I came from the rail industry and am currently back in it, but if I could have hung on longer I would have stayed. (see cons)
    The sales team was great and interactive with the Team Member's on the floor. The work is pretty basic so it wasn't stressful. I can't speak for the sales team I never experienced their program. Wish I would have though. Every supervisor I met was kind and listened all the way up to the owners....who are very open.
    Allied saw potential in a team member and flew them to headquarters to learn more and help them grow. That doesn't just happen, they worked and did their job well and got rewarded. If you don't do that then yes you will have a hard time and you can write your own review blaming the management and so on. Every place I have worked had questionable managers, it happens, and you don't always get to know what's going on..so what. Anyway, like I said its a great place to start, if you work hard.....it's a great place to stay.

Cons

So my cons.......MONEY...it always about the money. I lost my job before I joined allied, so I hired on at allied because I couldn't afford to live off unemployment. Turns out I couldn't afford to live on Allied's pay either and had to move on. Like I said before though, the work is basic and not hard to pick up, it isn't exactly a skilled trade. But I do think it should be about $2-$3 more an hour. That would help with retention. That's my only con, Vacation is OK and they have decent benefits.

Advice to Management

Visit your Facilities outside of headquarters a little more. Team members will appreciate it and it will keep those facility managers on their toes and follow through with policies better.

"WALK AWAY"

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

Pros

I made some friends at Allied. The management is so absurd and oppressive that any other job will feel like heaven after you leave. Trust me you will leave. That is where the pros really end.

Cons

I worked in sales. There is no training program. They have no idea how to put one together. The micromanagement is on a level that I have never seen before. You can expect to be berated by management in emails for the entire company to read. Do you like working 11+ hours a day and told you aren't doing enough? How do you feel about endless meetings and daily, weekly, monthly goal sheets? Do you enjoy watching sales training videos from the 80's and writing essays afterwards...during your lunch break? If you like recording your sales calls and them dissected by management play by play on a weekly basis then this is the place for you. Expect to juggle 1,000 things at once. While you are juggling there will be problems with management, material, vendors, warehouse, shipping, customers, etc. The problems never end! Your goal in a sales role will be to rip your customer off for as much money as possible while being told to develop relationships with them. In fact you are required to do so. I didn't meet one person who was happy with the company the entire time I was there. I saw over 20 people in all roles quit before me.

Advice to Management

Treat people with respect and perhaps you will receive it. You are successful because of your employees not for your bipolar management style. The next time you think of a brilliant idea run it past your employees first before it blows up in your faces. Try being decent human beings. It's never too late. Also, stop writing pro Allied reviews on this site. We know it's you. Good luck and start thinking about karma.