Allstate - Allstate-Give it a second thought. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

"Allstate-Give it a second thought."

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

Pros

large-organization resources, college campus-like atmosphere, respectful and polite co-workers, work-life balance reasonable, generous recognition, generous total compensation and benefits.

Cons

Have to compete against internal hires for more interesting work. Also, sometimes too sociable and too sports-centered. Individuality sometimes needs to be concealed from the masses. Too suburban.

Advice to Management

I'm a newbie, but I like what you're doing. You haven't had to cut 10,000 jobs yet due to restructuring or reacting against the receding world economy.

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

"Heading in the Wrong Direction"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Northbrook, IL

Pros

Working with fellow employees is great.

Cons

People are promoted on who they know. And those that should be in management are over looked. And then there are some that finally make it into management and we see that they are unfairly treated because they are not in the "in crowd". Morale is at an all-time low but at times, we are afraid to provide our true feelings on the annual QLMS because then our senior manager will treat us worse.

Advice to Management

Start talking to your employees directly and listen with an open mind. We have directors that we see twice a year at meetings. They are definitely not providing you the right feedback as they do not even know what is going on on the floor. Come be with the employees for a day and see the real issues that go on and get a real status of your corporate initiatives.

2. "The harder you work, the luckier you get..."

Current Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Office Manager in Houston, TX

Pros

Great flexibility, boss is very willing to allow for special circumstances. We work as a team in our office. The work atmosphere is relaxed, but professional. We each know our personal goals and our office goals. We keep each other posted on where we are at and how we are doing. There is a competitive edge that is not threatening, but inspiring. You are always learning from those around you and there is always something new to learn to do at our office. The coorporate goals are communicated and enforced appropriately. Most importantly, vacation is provided as well as medical/health stipends. There is never a "war" within the office. No catty remarks, no intentional problem making, great to work with people who understand you and where you need to be in acheiving your goals. You will be rewarded when you work hard and challenge yourself in the office. You will find yourself enjoying the customers as the people they are, not just as dollar signs. You will be able to network with vast majorities of different people and cultures. It's wonderful to help people understand their insurance needs and provide the coverage for them.

Cons

With a small office, it can be overwhelming when there is much to be done. If you cannot manage your time well, you will not have a great experience with the workload of this position. Also, the days can feel mundane and repetitive. You have to find a way to make sure you are challenging yourself enough to overcome the feeling of being stuck in a routine. With a small office, you do not have professional privacy. If you are going to work as friends and colleagues, expect someone to know a little about your personal life and ongoings.

Advice to Management

We need better support systems. We also need a vehicle where our concerns are not only heard, but actually addressed and worked on. When we have input, we would like it to be considered valuable, not mere commentary.