Allstate - Good people to work with, but I feel like a hamster on a wheel. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

"Good people to work with, but I feel like a hamster on a wheel."

Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer
Current Employee - Licensed Sales Producer

Pros

Good people, friendly people.
For me, location is close to home.
Professional. Other people know the company name, has a brand.
Steady salary, steady work hours.
Beats working in 100 deg + heat in summer.

Cons

Upper management changes the product so often that you're spending all day dealing with retention instead of getting new business.
Although I think steady work hours is a good thing, for me they are really steady-- can't work from home, can't take a day off, can't work flex time.
Many colleagues are not adept enough at technology so I spend a lot of time doing things the old, slow way, like printing instead of scanning and emailing, looking up paper files in a filing cabinet.
Many agents are older so they don't know new systems, leaving me to do all quoting, looking up policies, or any other computer-based work which means we spend twice as much time to do a task than if they just did it themselves.

Advice to Management

I do not mention where I work to friends and family because I don't want them as clients. It is embarassing to increase their rates every six months and have them give me evil looks or for them to talk to me at every family gathering and town function and for them to tell the story of how they could not stay with me.

Gripes are not with agent but with upper level. Changing rates every few weeks wastes time because every change actually takes a two years to process because renewals happen throughout year. We end up taking a whole year every day talking about rate changes, then people will call the second year because they forgot to call the first year, and in the meantime there will be a rate change again. We are hamsters on a running wheel.

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

1. "Allstate is a great place to work if you have a great relationship with your direct manager"

Pros

Telecommute options are very open and allowed by management. Acturial Fellows support is companywide, but the CPCU not so much

Cons

Recent outside managers being hired do not have the people skills nor do they value the Allstate culture. However, they are knowledgeable in the areas they were hired for so it makes business sense

Advice to Management

Have more open communication on the impact to employees as a result of the Esurance purcchase

2. "Ok"

Pros

Okay good for entry level work

Cons

Public company in commodity business