Allstate - Great to challenging | Glassdoor

"Great to challenging"

Former Employee - Director in Northbrook, IL
Former Employee - Director in Northbrook, IL

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to expand skills and capabilities and do different jobs. Great benefits and wellness focus.

Cons

If you have tenure -- you have to work twice as hard to prove your value. The perception by actions and not part of the future. When, in most cases, if you have tenure and survived the many changes at the company, you had to be flexible and totally open to change.

Advice to Management

Value employees with experience and those new to the company. The two can blend to make the company successful. Don't make people feel bad if they have tenure!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

"Most stressful years of my life"

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rochester, NY
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Rochester, NY

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

When I started the people who worked there were of very high quality character and were very professional. The training wasn't bad for a company of its size. Good amount of vacation time.

Cons

The work was the most stressful job I've ever had. It's bad enough to deal with angry people on the phone all day, but to be constantly held to unrealistic measurements internally and generally treated like a number by management just put it over the top as unbearable. Long hours because they do not keep the offices properly staffed for the amount of work that comes in. If you tried to discuss ways to make the company better, you could be sure to hear "If you don't like it here you're free to leave anytime". Glad I took that advice.

Advice to Management

I was a good employee, I won the distinguished performance award a couple times. Even I felt like I wasn't appreciated because of the horrible way many of my coworkers were treated by management above the local office. Forcing out good workers because they made too much money and replacing them with seemingly anyone who applied was enough proof that no matter how good I was doing, my time would come and I'd be treated the same way.

"All are not equal"

I worked at Allstate (More than 3 years)

Pros

Some divisions of Allstate are great to work in a treat and pay everyone fairly for work. Benefits at this company are a good reason to work and stay here.

Cons

Some divisions do not get the same care taken as others. As in many corporate environments life is like high school , very cliquey its who you know not how hard you work. Pay in some areas barely minimum wage.

Advice to Management

Pay based on experience and education even in the entry level jobs. This will lead to an adult work environment.