Allstate - claims processor | Glassdoor

"claims processor"

Current Employee - Claims Processor in Jacksonville, FL
Current Employee - Claims Processor in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great paid for the job description

Cons

senority ruled the office i used to work at

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

"Decent learning experience and eye-opening wastes of manpower (Updated 3/8/2014)"

Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Menlo Park, CA

I worked at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

- You may find yourself doing some really unexpected tasks, but they will be fun. These will also help diversify your working knowledge and background for subsequent positions.
    - So much potential to just dive in and get to work on different projects and the R&D process.
    - At meetings or even the R&D sessions, you will feel like you are really making a difference.
    - Work contributions are taken seriously and implemented if they make sense and show positive results consistently.

Cons

- You may find yourself doing some really unexpected tasks or working on a project that clearly has no future in its current state.
    - Communication issues in teams. Supervisors have difficulty conveying accurate feedback. Sometimes will provide contradictory statements as feedback and expect you to know how to walk the line.
    - Because projects start so quickly, sometimes getting consumer insight is completely skipped, and when it is sought out, it is usually too late to stop anyway.
    - Controlling managers and supervisors will demand that work be done their way to the point that they may just reach over your shoulder and commandeer your keyboard.

Update:
    - Watch your finances with them. They hired a debt collection agency to come after me 6 months after the end of the internship to claim a debt. I have no idea what it was for since there are no details, but rather than let it damage my credit score, I just paid it in full and let their strong arm push me around. The only thing I can think of that this would be for would be for accidental overpay, so I am fine with returning the amount. But honestly, Allstate should be on top of this before it becomes a hassle for their employees.

Advice to Management

Before embarking on huge projects or new products, consider pilot testing the idea with some focus groups. Having a focus group early in the process and then again part way through for fine tuning is fine, but you can't afford to just do one focus group right before release. And then pay attention to the data you get from these groups. You cannot afford to just blatantly disregard your consumer feedback because "you know they really like it even if they aren't saying it."

Update:
    Rather than looking into a debt collection agency to go after an intern for a mistake you made, contact the intern directly yourself. You have the contact info on file. Is it really that much of a hassle to speak directly to me? Or is it really just easier to provide a collection agency with all my info and set up a debt file? I would have gladly spoken to any financial worker at Allstate to sort this out (and so I have a better idea of what I am actually paying for).

As a result of this recent occurrence, I have to set my rating to 1 star. Debt claims and collection can have vast impacts on an intern during a time period when establishing and maintaining good credit is important. I sincerely hope you do not do this to any of your other interns. Unless things change, I would no longer recommend any internship with this company.

And one more important note, that I should have added earlier... Managers need to be solid communicators for their fellow workers. You can't afford to give a person feedback suggesting that we need to follow directions exactly as given then in the next breath give feedback suggesting that we exercise our own discretion on project editing rather than following directions exactly.

"I love the environment"

Current Employee - Inside Claims Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Inside Claims Adjuster in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is my first job in the claims field. I have to say that the environment has played a big factor in my sanity. No matter how stressful the work is, the people here make you want to come to work. I've had wonderful training from management and I love the support I have received from all of my teammates. When I first started they took the time to make sure I was ready before throwing me to the wolves. I also love the diversity and all the potlucks and office events we have. Its too early to really judge the opportunities but I have seen several promotions so far.

Cons

Can be stressful, but stress can always be controlled

Advice to Management

doing a great job, keep supporting your adjusters!