Allstate - Claims Adjuster-Mixed Bag | Glassdoor

"Claims Adjuster-Mixed Bag"

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

-Good benefits, good amount of time PTO especially for newer people (you won't see many companies that start you off with the equivalent of 4+ weeks of PTO), CAT pay(equivalent to overtime for salaried employees), decent atmosphere, recognized for doing quality work.

Cons

-Claim volume varies. Sometimes when it's dead, you may just get 3 or 4 claims a day. When we have a catastrophe of some kind, we can get as many as 10 claims a day. 1 day, I got 15 claims in 1 day. When the claims come in bunches like that, it is very hard to keep up, and if you don't put the extra time in, you can easily get lost in the shuffle and get weeks behind. If you get majorly behind, it can take weeks if not months to catch yourself back up.
-You are never caught up. Even when you think you are good, something always happens, and falling behind is just part of the job.
-Management doesn't always understand what adjusters are having to deal with. There are always things on top of things that they require of us and don't realize that it takes away from the bottom line, which is to service the customer in a timely manner.
-Meetings=too many of them. Most meetings are pointless and only lead to adjusters falling further behind in their workload.
-Long hrs. Although you could work just 8-9 hr. days, you would fall very far behind and would spend 1/2 a year trying to catch back up. You are almost forced to work 10-12 hr. days to catch yourself up and keep yourself from falling behind. Luckily, CAT pay helps even out the need to work these long hrs.

Advice to Management

-Hire more adjusters. Especially when you load balance claims from local offices across the country, we are still going to get a lot of claims, so why not hire some more adjusters to take some of the load off the current ones, which will help improve the customer experience by giving adjusters more time to focus on each customer.

Allstate Response

Mar 25, 2014 – Employment Team

Thank you for your review - we take this feedback very seriously. We have a lot of adjuster positions open right now - refer your friends! Some jobs offer a referral bonus to employees. Check out our... More

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

1. "So far so good"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Allstate full-time

Pros

Growth opportunities, good work/life balance

Cons

Growth opportunities require an advocate

Allstate Response

Mar 25, 2014 – Employment Team

Thanks for the review! If you're having trouble finding an advocate, many of our internal Employee Resource Groups offer mentoring programs that may help connect you with someone.

2. "Experience at Allstate"

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

great people, competitive pay, good benefits, many career options, good culture

Cons

advancement at mid management and up