Allstate - Good company, very good benefits | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

"Good company, very good benefits"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

salary plus monthly bonuses for rep.
pto bank

Cons

would make unnecessary changes to things that weren't broken

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

"Overworked and underpaid, but stable."

Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Senior QA Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great work/life balance if you manage your work. At times this means you go home and continue working remotely. (dont let your work manage you)
    - PTO is generous
    - Looks great on the resume, good place to start your career and get experience with a recognisable company.
    - Exposure to senior leaders through Employee Resource Groups, if you know how to network, you can make great connections.
    - Depending on the manager, you control your own hours and can determine when you work from home or not.

Cons

Although the company in general is very flexible. Your work from home schedule and when you take PTO depend largely on your manager and potentially, your "leads".

FYI: Many "leads" don't know the first thing about leadership. Instead of discussing issues with you, they'll go complain to your manager. You've been warned.

There are mix generations at Allstate, this can create tension. Some older folks are not used to the younger folks. If you are not at your desk, suddenly it is assumed that you are socializing and not doing your job. Eventhough, you may have walked over to someone else's desk to actually work on something....imagine that.

Allstate encourages you to get involved in Employee Resource Groups and get mentorship from senior leaders. But yet, some managers are NOT supportive of this. So if you do get involved, you may end up with a bad performance review. (Sad, really)

It is extremely difficult to get promoted and pay is low compared to other companies in the same industry.

Performance reviews are done once per year. IF you get a pay raise, don't expect more than 2%, if you are lucky. This is troubling considering that the cost of living in the Chicago area is high. They pay is very, very low for the cost of living and taxes. So dont expect to live well with their pay.

Finally - be prepared to work long hours. I myself have worked up to 2am. ridiculously long hours, if your work isn't done. You get criticized and get bad performance reviews.

Advice to Management

- Increase compensation, your IT staff is the blood of the company. Without the software applications we support, the company can't make a dime. We won't stick around for long without the fair pay for the amount of hours we put in.

- If you encourage workers to get involved in employee resource groups and get mentorship from senior leaders. Please don't complain that we are not at our desks and then give us bad performance reviews. It makes the leadership look incompetent and its quite sad that you would encourage us to do something that you obviously do not support.

- Hire more staff, there is far too much work to be done and not enough time. We have lives and families outside of work.

Allstate Response

Mar 27, 2014 – Employment Team

This is excellent and thorough feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience - we are listening and take your perspective seriously, especially as we work to make improvements to... More

2. "Selling insurance has taught me a lot about the industry."

Current Employee - Insurance Sales in Bossier City, LA
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales in Bossier City, LA

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working for an insurance agent allows some flexibility in your family life when you need to be off for your children's school activities or doctor appointments.

Cons

In an insurance agency, you are limited on the time of year you can take a vacation because the boss always get the first choice of days off and he or she can take off as much as they like.

Advice to Management

There is any opportunity for advancement outside or inside of the agency.