Allstate - Worked as a auto adjuster for fifteen years at Utah MCO's. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

"Worked as a auto adjuster for fifteen years at Utah MCO's."

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Salt Lake City, UT
Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Ten of my fifteen years on the job, I was treated well, hard decisions were supported by and large, and work environment was positive . I was trusted to get the job done. Ample vacation time, benefits.

Cons

Long hours, with being put in many difficult customer service situations. The quality of local management deteriorated during final years. Hard decisions were not supported, local managers went out of their way to find fault, and kept pressure up to and extent where quality of life becomes impossible to manage. Auto adjusters at Allstate are treated poorly, which sadly is becoming an industry standard.

Advice to Management

Unit managers should have some experience doing some of the tasks that they ask of the people they manage. Most don't have any practical idea what job actually entails. Most managers are great at managing numbers and data, and their careers, but do poorly dealing with people. Managers are insulated from the havoc that they inflict on people's lives with their poor decisions, and not supporting their adjusters who have to enforce policy.

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

1. "Good experience, but starting pay could be better for college grads."

Former Employee - Auto Liability Claims Adjuster in Baltimore, MD
    Former Employee - Auto Liability Claims Adjuster in Baltimore, MD

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good co-workers, and benefits. Start with your PTO advanced, and get benefits after 30 days.

Cons

A lot of employees have tenure over you, and you may not be able to advance in the company as soon as you would like. Lateral movement seems to be the only way to move. Starting salary could be higher.

Advice to Management

Offer higher starting pay for college grads.

"Work, work, work"

Former Employee - Staff Claim Adjuster in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Staff Claim Adjuster in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Allstate full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Allstate's training is well-respected in the industry and benefits are good.

Cons

You are expected to work and work hard all of the time. Above and beyond is the expectation and not necessarily always rewarded. After 25yrs I was laid off, thank God, and the benefits going out the door were generous but I found that I had sacrificed too much of my life and my family suffered because I was always working or always on call to go to work. I expressed a concern about flying to a catastrophe location because there was still weather (hurricane) in the area and some flights were cancelled. I was told I should rent a car and drive. After that I was described as being afraid to fly! Management often has their head in hard to access places when it comes to assessing what their field staff is doing.

Advice to Management

Never, never, never put someone in management who has not actually worked in that position. And, when staff expresses a concern about work conditions you need to actually listen. I submitted hard data showing discrepancies in workloads among field personnel in my region and was completely ignored. Not fair! And not conducive to good morale...working at Allstate is a big regret in my life. I should have left years ago!