Allstate - Amazing experience and a great place for an internship, especially your first one. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Allstate

"Amazing experience and a great place for an internship, especially your first one."

Current Intern - Intern in Northbrook, IL
Current Intern - Intern in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company values people greatly, both customers and its own, therefore people are incredibly friendly and understanding of your needs. Great work/life balance and opportunities to take initiative and grow. In my experience, this is not stereotypical paper filing and coffee retrieval, but you are actually a full member of the team for 12 weeks.

Cons

The Allstate "nice" culture can actually work to become a negative. People are so friendly that this often leads to passive aggressive behavior and lack of communication when an issue arises.

Advice to Management

Ensure interns have regular check-ins with their managers with emphasis placed on consistent communication and feedback.

Other Employee Reviews for Allstate

"Good place to start."

Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Northbrook, IL
    Current Employee - Actuarial Analyst in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Allstate has good exam support and a great training program. The work is easy and becomes a very mildly mindless after a bit. The atmosphere is great, and there is lots of opportunity to try a bunch of different jobs out.

Cons

The work is very formulaic and mundane for the first 5 or so years at Allstate. If you live in the city, the location is terrible. Taking the train is a major sacrifice in terms of freedom (only two shuttles each morning between the train and Allstate campus), and the drive gets old very quickly.

Advice to Management

Open a downtown office.

2. "Getting paid to learn more than I've learned at school, while surrounded by great people."

Current Intern - Product Operations Intern in Northbrook, IL
    Current Intern - Product Operations Intern in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Allstate as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Allstate offers competitive pay rates, as well as a generous housing stipend. I've been strongly encouraged to stop working as soon as I hit 40 hours for the week, and have still been able to manage a busy work flow.

Cons

As an actuarial intern, we don't receive any PTO days. This wasn't that bad, because there are numerous events we attend that serve as a good (paid) break from working.

Advice to Management

N/A